• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Truth in Fiction

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I appreciate the suggestion but that wouldn't really work with the scene. There isn't really anyone in the room to disagree with him.
As far as the overall story goes, the concept of destiny doesn't really come-up anywhere else; certainly not to the point where I can create a balanced argument about it.

Or the character could have been wrong about something in the past, so that readers already question him. Or you could have some other character spout utter nonsense like it's absolute truth, so that the reader doubts you as a writer (the right kind of doubt, not the bad kind).

WooHooMan

Auror
Or the character could have been wrong about something in the past, so that readers already question him. Or you could have some other character spout utter nonsense like it's absolute truth, so that the reader doubts you as a writer (the right kind of doubt, not the bad kind).

Solid suggestions. Thanks.

IMHO, this may be the problem. If you don't want the reader to think you're lecturing or preaching, you have to present doubt, and the way to do that is to have someone disagree and present a counter.

Also, if no one disagrees then there's no tension, and I think this may end up feeling flat unless his monologue is drop the reader on their ear fantastic.

And finally, if the whole theme of destiny doesn't come up in the rest of the story, then why devote a monologue to it? It's going to stick out like a sore thumb.

The viewpoint the character expresses isn't the important part of the scene. The monologue better establishes the two characters' relationship, the speaker's motives and it's kind of a motivator for the character listening to him - it's some initial guidance to get their arc in motion. If the whole thing had no purpose but to philosophize, I would have already scrapped it.