• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Two options for MC in a hole

cak85

Minstrel
In my current WIP I am brainstorming between 2 different options for my MC. She is basically at the point in the story where she is undergoing a series of tests to prove her worth as a mariner.

For context: She lives on a small archipelago in the middle of the ocean and hunt massive sea lizards and other prehistoric like creatures on the island. She wants to be accepted as a mariner and earn her place on a captains boat.

The current test has taken her to an underground lake. The captain of the crew (also the person giving the test) has thrown a knife into the middle of the underground lake for her to to find. She must use her to use her other senses to stay calm and locate her missing tool. The mariners take their tools very seriously and will go to great lengths to reclaim a missing knife or harpoon.

Hope that makes sense.

So now here are my 2 thoughts.

Option A - knife falls to bottom of underground lake and she swims down and after several tries she finds the knife. Along the way she finds she has another sense that helps locate things while being underwater. Maybe like sonar?

Option B - the knife is actually made up of a special kind of wood and stone that floats instead of sinks. She finally remembers this after several tries and scours the surface of the lake till she finds the knife. The cave is very dark and only a few torches provide some light, so the knife could go easily unseen. This option would teach her patience and how to stay calm during emergency.

Last edited:

Chasejxyz

Inkling
World building wise, I think B makes the most sense. If they're out in the open ocean, would they be able to dive down deep enough to get a lost knife/harpoon? But, ultimately, what is it that your MC needs to learn? Does she need to learn she has special powers? Which would then help her do something no one else can do farther down the line. Or does she need to learn patience/not to panic? Which she would use during a real emergency.

Hawthorn

Dreamer
I prefer option B. If you introduce something like sonar, think about whether this will play an important role later on (is there a time in the future where knowing she has this ability will be pivotal in the story?). If it just appears in this scene to find the knife, then is never mentioned again, it doesn't really feel right in the context of the whole story. As Chasejxyz says, think about what it is she needs to learn. What the greater purpose of this scene is in terms of her development and character arc.

cak85

Minstrel
Thanks for the ideas. I was definitely leaning to Option B as Option A felt like the more "expected" choice.

The purpose of this scene is to help teach her to learn how to slow her thinking because sometimes the simple choice is the best choice. My MC is impulsive and reactionary, which has helped her because she has very quick reflexes and can think on her feet. Sometimes though, her decisions are rash and can get her into trouble. This happens later in the story.