• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Uhhh so i'm trying to build a writing group...

• Thread starter Deleted member 9064
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9064

Hey there :D

Writing groups are so much fun....so I deiced to start my own.

I am currently working on establishing a writing group that centers on having fun while writing and making new friends in the process. After all, writing can be a solitary activity, and it's always more enjoyable to have companionship. Personally, writing ignites a fire in my heart and a passion that courses through my veins, creating a profound connection that words cannot fully express. If you share this sentiment please feel free to join.

PM me if interested and I will send you the link :)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I am a little confused, because this here is a writing group. If you are looking, why not stay here?

D

Deleted member 9064

I am a little confused, because this here is a writing group. If you are looking, why not stay here?
But this fourm says: Are you looking for a local or online writing group? Or do you have one that is open to new members?

So i have one that is opened to new members and to tell all about here

pmmg

Myth Weaver
No crime in advertising, but if you want to be part of a group, there are a lot of people already here.

I cant speak for others, but my energy is already spent. So I am not looking to find more to do, but maybe others are.

Some are more fun than others ;)

D

Deleted member 9064

No crime in advertising, but if you want to be part of a group, there are a lot of people already here.

I cant speak for others, but my energy is already spent. So I am not looking to find more to do, but maybe others are.

Some are more fun than others ;)
I see others advertising for a writing group so I figure I could to. :)

Ned Marcus

Maester
I see others advertising for a writing group so I figure I could to. :)
You can, but pmmg was talking about the value of the writing help already given here in this forum. It may be worth exploring. Personally, I think the most fun is in local, face-to-face writing groups.

D

Deleted member 9064

You can, but pmmg was talking about the value of the writing help already given here in this forum. It may be worth exploring. Personally, I think the most fun is in local, face-to-face writing groups.
Ok a local group is a no go. Ok....I feel like I'm being attacked here ...so please leave me be. Thanks .

Last edited by a moderator:

Ned Marcus

Maester
No one's attacking you. Of course you're welcome to set up your own group! I was just expressing my thoughts on local groups, that's all.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I probably should not have said anything. Was my fault for bringing up the wrong tone.

I was just wondering if the OP might not find a home here, as there is already a group of writers here, as opposed to trying to start one from scratch. I dont really care if others want to look at other options. That's up to them. And the site does not have any prohibitions against doing so. Heck, I mention Scribophile all the time. You would think I had stock.

Sorry all, post away.

Hi Fearless,

Perhaps it would be worth sharing what kind of fiction you like to write. Obviously over here we are mostly fantasy and sci-fi enthusiasts but there are plenty of individual tastes and sub-genres within those genres. So maybe by being more specific, you will have a higher chance of meeting like-minded souls.

I would also agree that writing is for the most part a solitary activity - which is exactly how I like it. But over here we have a good community of both experienced and newer writers that are open to discussing themes for research, general discussions and there are also critique request functions - so I think pmmg was just trying to illustrate that this is basically a writing group, only it’s a bit more passive, but this is a friendly space, and abuse etc won’t be tolerated as it is on Reddit and other online forums.

Those are my opinions / thoughts, hope they are helpful!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I really want to do a writing group, but I need to get to a place in my writing where I'm ready for it. I'm not there yet.

A lot of people have had negative experiences in writing groups, online critiques, or in similar experiences going back to English classes in school. But they can obviously be very helpful. So the biggest question is what kind of writing group you're interested in. What are the guidelines? How does it work? How can you keep it upbeat?

I would also suggest posting a few critiques in the Critique Requests forum so that people can get a feel for what you're bringing to the table, and so that you can see who else you get a good vibe from.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I have been interested in doing a meetup type of group in the past, but I want one that is more local. I dont want to go to Baltimore or DC to attend :)

I've looked at times but I dont really see any near enough to me that I might attend. I'd also think it unlikely I would find one that is not everything, and just fantasy, or genre fiction.

Ned Marcus

Maester
I have been interested in doing a meetup type of group in the past, but I want one that is more local. I dont want to go to Baltimore or DC to attend :)

I've looked at times but I dont really see any near enough to me that I might attend. I'd also think it unlikely I would find one that is not everything, and just fantasy, or genre fiction.
I had the same feelings and almost didn't set up my fantasy and SF writers meetup group. I'm based in Taipei and thought there wouldn't be enough people. I was very wrong. My group's been going for almost 9 years now.