• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Uniting multiple worlds through a singular concept...

Now, I don't plan on writing book after book after book in the same series. (in the traditional sense, like the Harry Potter books)
But for one of my stories, the Sea of Data is just too cool of a concept to scrap it after only one story.
I was thinking maybe doing a thing where, there's multiple worlds (as in different realities) with the Sea of Data being a connective tissue between them.

I have yet to finish the first book in this series so I got time to mull it over. But how careful would I have to be about doing this?

There’s plenty of examples of authors writing different stories in the same world or using the same concept, Tolkien, Pratchett, Martin, Clarke, Rowling but to name a few. Is that what you mean?

Queshire

Istar
Sure, it sounds fun.

Two questions to consider would be 1) Do different worlds have different magic/power systems & if so how does that work and 2) Are there people who know about the existence of multiple worlds & what do they do about it?

There’s plenty of examples of authors writing different stories in the same world or using the same concept, Tolkien, Pratchett, Martin, Clarke, Rowling but to name a few. Is that what you mean?
Kind of? If I understand what you mean, I mean, there's a singular location (In this case the Sea of Data) within all of the 'connected' stories, but the stories and the role the sea of data has in them are isolated. Like Story A is a fantasy world and story B is a modern world, but the Sea of Data (the source of the fantasy elements in them) connects them. I was thinking each story could reveal something important about the Sea of Data and how it actually is. Kind of like how the Avengers Series of Marvel movies were 'sort of' connected to eachother through the Infinity stones, but I don't think my concept will span quite that many stories.
Sure, it sounds fun.

Two questions to consider would be 1) Do different worlds have different magic/power systems & if so how does that work and 2) Are there people who know about the existence of multiple worlds & what do they do about it?
I was thinking of doing three different stories that all reveal more about the sea of data and then a final one that's sort of a crossover thing.
The different settings have magic for sure but the actual system is different. Since some of the settings are more 'modern' and less fantasy.

LordFalco

Minstrel
It's a good idea if you're aware of the challenges. I'm juggling three realities: earth, future earth, and a parallel world. Each will have its own set of characters, so you run the risk of an unwieldy cast. You need to decide where the climax takes place. Also, you must decide on maybe half a dozen characters who will bear the brunt of the story problem. That said, it's a lot of fun.

Aldarion

Archmage
I don't think so.

To me it seems more like an idea of multiverse with connective "tissue" between the universes, if I'm making any sense.

One place where multiple stories take place? I don’t see how it would be a problem.
It's like Lord Falco said. Though my idea is more alternate worlds/reality than purely just a jump in time/space.
It's not like Star Wars where there's endless planets and all planets are connected by the force.
The idea should be fine, but I need to think of a few more connecting elements than just the Sea of Data I think.

Aldarion

Archmage
It's like Lord Falco said. Though my idea is more alternate worlds/reality than purely just a jump in time/space.
It's not like Star Wars where there's endless planets and all planets are connected by the force.
The idea should be fine, but I need to think of a few more connecting elements than just the Sea of Data I think.
What about Sea of Data interacting with human psyche through dreams? Basically, being a Sea of Dreams, and so people can see into other worlds while they are sleeping. And people who become aware of it may use it to travel between the worlds.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for...

What about Sea of Data interacting with human psyche through dreams? Basically, being a Sea of Dreams, and so people can see into other worlds while they are sleeping. And people who become aware of it may use it to travel between the worlds.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for...
I could see there being some kind of connection yeah, although I'm not sure how well I could do the 'dreams' specifically without leaning into the classic clichés. Maybe people can connect with kindred spirits in other worlds through the sea of data?

Aldarion

Archmage
I could see there being some kind of connection yeah, although I'm not sure how well I could do the 'dreams' specifically without leaning into the classic clichés. Maybe people can connect with kindred spirits in other worlds through the sea of data?
Possibly. There is a lot you could do with it.