• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Use of ?!

Do keep in mind, though, that you are passing up an opportunity to sharpen your prose.

This, 100%. The use of "?!" is a shortcut, right? I think everyone can agree with that. The combo might be fine with some types of writing, like YA and light/comedic, but using it means foregoing use of a sturdier, more creative prose. Think of the many ways you could convey to the reader the same thing that "?!" is meant to convey and subtract those; what's lost?

Laurence

Inkling
This, 100%. The use of "?!" is a shortcut, right? I think everyone can agree with that. The combo might be fine with some types of writing, like YA and light/comedic, but using it means foregoing use of a sturdier, more creative prose. Think of the many ways you could convey to the reader the same thing that "?!" is meant to convey and subtract those; what's lost?

This was my initial reaction to my own example (I simply used '?!' to speed through a draft) but then I considered whether, if it's a commonly used practise, I could clean up my dialogue.

I'm quite keen on cutting down on unnecessary prose but whether certain prose is unnecessary or not is another subject I suppose.

In this situation I'll definitely lose the '?!' as my WIP isn't YA.

idknull

Dreamer
I actually find '?!' useful for portraying a kind of enthusiastic irony. I'm not entirely sure whether it's actually used in literature, but like you, I imagine not.