• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

VIP/Donator subscriptions?

Lavender

Minstrel
A few other forums I visit have a sort of VIP/donator system where a user donates a small amount of money via Paypal and/or SMS to the website and in return they get a bold user name in the colour of their choice and other forum benefits. Would Mythic Scribes consider implementing this system and what do other users think of this idea? :)

Amanita

Maester
For me, this would very likely be a reason to leave the forum.
I don't have the means to get money out of the Euro-zone in any halfway easy way and find it very annoying when this is demaned from you at every corner. That's one of the reasons why I'm not using the NaNoWriMo-forums too much anymore.
Getting money in via selected ads as has been suggested here is a much more reasonable way to get money for the server and the ads might even actually be for something I as the viewer actually do want. This way I got my hands on a very fascinating book on the cultural impact of the various chemical elements which had been advertised at a chemistry forum for example. ;)

Helbrecht

Minstrel
I think establishing a forum elite like this would be a step in the wrong directon. I'd basically like to echo what Amanita said. We shouldn't judge a person's contribution to the community based on their ability to contribute to its upkeep financially. However, I'd have no reservations against the option to make anonymous financial donations being open - in fact, I'd quite like it. :)

Kaellpae

Inkling
I would donate anonymously. I don't know about to get an elite status. I'd rather just spam the Threads and rank up. Ahah.

Kelise

Maester
I would love to donate to here to keep ads off the site - I really can't stand them. However, I would also like to do this anonymously.

Digital_Fey

Troubadour
As far as I'm concerned donations should be made because members truly care about the future of the forum, or are dedicated to keeping it ad-free - not because they want shiny user features.

Amanita said:
I don't have the means to get money out of the Euro-zone in any halfway easy way and find it very annoying when this is demanded from you at every corner.

Having had rather unpleasant relations with PayPal so far, I'm afraid I have to agree.