• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Want to become Part of the largest Fantasy book translation Project ever?

SkyandSand

Dear Fantasy Community!

I am helping a friend to promote his ambitious project to translate the biggest German fantasy saga into English.

In 2006 Harald Evers, one of the most remarkable German fantasy authors, died. Harald was the creator of "The Caveworld-Saga" ("Die Höhlenwelt-Saga"), a 8 volume, 6500 pages epic story about a never before described world. Some call it the German answer to The Lord of the Rings.
With Harald's death also died his dream to translate his story into other languages and make it available to many other fantasy fans all over the world.
More than 15 years later my friend Markus put together a team of translators and artists (like Christophe Vacher Christophe Vacher – Official website) to fulfill Harald's dream, but he needs the help of a community to realize this ambitious undertaking.

Have a look at his website, explore the saga and sign up for his translation project to stay informed.
You even get the first chapter of Vol 1 "The Brotherhood of Yoor" for free! https://caveworldsaga.trivocum-verlag.de/

Many thanks!

SkyandSand

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I'm not sure how to put this, seeing how I can't speak to the original in German, but the translation needs a lot of work in the area of quality writing in English. Pacing, passivity, adverbs, word repetition...

SkyandSand

I'm not sure how to put this, seeing how I can't speak to the original in German, but the translation needs a lot of work in the area of quality writing in English. Pacing, passivity, adverbs, word repetition...
Hi Demesnedenoir!

Thanks for your reply! Fully agree, translating 6500 pages with quality will not be an easy job, and will require financial resources. This is why we have launched this project. The ultimate goal is to start a crowdfunding project with people who love fantasy. There is already a team behind the project including translators, have a look at the website. Obviously, after translation we need more people for editing and proof reading, so if you know anyone, please let me know!

Thanks,

SkyandSand

SkyandSand

I'm not completely clear on what you're looking for, people to help translate it or people to read it.

I'm also curious if they actually have the English translation rights. After all, he's only been dead for 15 years.

Hi Prince of Spires!,

Thanks for your reply!

First, yes, rights for translating it into English are covered!

Then, it is about to create a community who wants to read it. As said before, translating 6500 pages into English with quality requires financial resources, and we don´t have it. Therefore, we want to create a community of fantasy enthusiasts, who would be interested to read this unique story, and maybe spend a dollar or two in a crowdfunding project that will follow at a later stage

Markus, the initiator already put some money into this and we have the first chapter of the first volume "The Brotherhood of Yoor" already translated into English. Would you be interested to read it? Just send an email to [email protected], and we will send it to you.

Thanks again,

SkyandSand

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Editors are editors, not writers. The same goes for translators, in most instances. Getting the words correct isn't the same as getting them right, right being to turn them into engaging prose. It isn't often I've seen a compelling translation, like Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose which was translated by William Weaver. Either Eco's writing was just that good or Weaver had one hell of a gift. I wish you all luck in finding a translator/writer so capable.

Mad Swede

Auror
Editors are editors, not writers. The same goes for translators, in most instances. Getting the words correct isn't the same as getting them right, right being to turn them into engaging prose. It isn't often I've seen a compelling translation, like Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose which was translated by William Weaver. Either Eco's writing was just that good or Weaver had one hell of a gift. I wish you all luck in finding a translator/writer so capable.
What these guys really want is more of an interpreter, not a straight translator. I've had to do translations into Swedish, and the key to a good translation is capturing the meanings and sense in the original text. That's much more a question of interpretation.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
>That's much more a question of interpretation.
Indeed. Consider the many translations of Dante, for example.

But I give props to those who care so passionately about a text that they want to gift it to other languages. It's worth encouraging, even if it turns out poorly.