• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Weights of Medieval Weapons

Aldarion

Archmage
Fantasy and medieval fiction often represent medieval weapons as being crude, heavy and unwieldy things. Reasons for this are many, and some may only be guessed at. Perhaps the most important reason however is the disdain that Renaissance and later people had and often still have towards the Middle Ages. Medieval people are often seen as ignorant, dumb brutes living in the remains of the greater past, and that has influenced views of their technology as well. While far less common than it perhaps used to be, it is still possible to meet people who believe that the medieval swords were crudely made blocks of metal that weighted so much they were only useful as clubs. And unfortunately, similar misconceptions about warhammers – that they were heavy and crude bludgeoning weapons which could be barely lifted by many people – still persist. Such misconceptions are very frequently seen even in the so-called “realistic” fantasy such as A Song of Ice and Fire.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I have a minor character in the current WIP who uses a two-handed broadsword, the size and weight of which impressed other characters. I figured it checked in at 12-15 pounds - but that is twice the normal weight. Then again, it could just be heavier than normal...

Rexenm

Maester
I don’t know much about the history of paladins. I guess because the Middle Ages wasn’t interested in warfare, in regards to their holy wars, just the holy part.

But to call a weapon crude, is perhaps social commentary, rather than any craftsmanship error.

Anyway, in my new WIP, I’m dealing with genocide, rather than warfare,

so far that pistol is looking mighty fine

I have held a real medieval sword before, and I would not be able to swing that thing around. Even for a large physically fit man, I would have thought that it wouldn’t be used for a really long battle or else the arm muscles would surely wear out?

I have held a real medieval sword before, and I would not be able to swing that thing around. Even for a large physically fit man, I would have thought that it wouldn’t be used for a really long battle or else the arm muscles would surely wear out?
Really? I have the exact opposite experience. I've taken a longsword fighting class, and I had no trouble holding the sword. Of course, it gets heavy after swinging it around for an extended period of time. But it's by no means cumbersome. It's graceful and fast and light. They can weigh something between 1 to 3 kg. Carrying a bag of groceries to your car takes more effort than swinging a sword around for a bit...

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Everything gets wearing if you hold it out long enough. But...personally, I feel the idea that swords (and other weapons) were traditionally heavy and unwieldy, has been dispelled quite a bit by fantasy enthusiasts. I am not sure how many still approach medieval stuff with this notion.

The one thing I tend to have to change on most is the size of things. When I picture a mace in my head and see one in real life, the real life one is always so much smaller than I imagined. Same with armor, I always think of it as being thicket than it is. But...that's just me. I just adjust.

Last edited:

Aldarion

Archmage
I have a minor character in the current WIP who uses a two-handed broadsword, the size and weight of which impressed other characters. I figured it checked in at 12-15 pounds - but that is twice the normal weight. Then again, it could just be heavier than normal...
I don't think a massive sword would impress anyone - although it could be used to denote the character as a semi-god.
Was it a war sword? Because there are two categories of medieval weapons: 1) warfighting weapons and 2) display weapons.

Display weapons could afford to be heavy and badly balanced because they weren't intended for fighting.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I don't think a massive sword would impress anyone - although it could be used to denote the character as a semi-god.

Was it a war sword? Because there are two categories of medieval weapons: 1) warfighting weapons and 2) display weapons.

Display weapons could afford to be heavy and badly balanced because they weren't intended for fighting.
The character isn't a semi-god, though he does possess substantial physical strength. It isn't directly in the story, but he saw the sword on the wall of the family keep and decided he was big enough to wield it. (He's a bit dim and easily impressed.)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
At a museum in Oslo I saw several Viking-era swords. They were rather short, something like a longish machete. I recall being surprised at how puny they looked.

The heavy weapon (cavalry) to my mind is the lance. Those things had to be very long and were made of solid hardwood. To carry that in any way other than couched would surely get tiring quickly. I'm thinking it would be charge, then couch the lance and wheel, then take it up again for another attack. But if you got caught in the usual melee situation, there would be no chance to put it away. You would just have to hold it. I wonder how many lances were simply abandoned during a long engagement. Or maybe you would try to make it back to your squire, turn over horse and lance both, and return to the battle on foot.

Medieval fighting was complicated. <g>