• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What about these says Ai?

So I went out of my way to draw my covers, despite not being an artist and having no desire to be one. It took me absolutely ages.

I probably did it in the worst way possible, redrawing over every line in a sketchbook app so I could colour it. Then I tore up pieces of paper, put them over different surfaces so I could photograph and texture them properly, and traced around those as well for my backgrounds. Finally, I used that Canva app thing for the text.

Point is, it took a long time and doesn’t look amazing, but it is mine.

I thought I’d give this whole Reddit thing a go and posted a picture of me with my printed books as they finally came tonight. The post didn’t even go through because apparently my pictures are AI?

Does anyone have any idea why this would be? I’m not a tech guy, so I’m baffled, but I’d hate for it to put people off my books.

(I really am bad at this stuff and can’t find a way to attach images here, not promoting just would like to know why do my covers look like artificial intelligence?)

Amazon.co.uk
 
Ah, I think I may have figured out the issue. The friend who was helping me upload the files to KDP used an AI tool to resize bits and move text. That might be causing the problem, though I am not sure if it violates policies since the original artwork is my own hand-drawn work. Either way, I will try to resize and re-upload them myself.
 
Are you asking why these things did not post on Reddit? Why would Reddit care?
I’m not sure. It just wouldn’t let me post it because it thought the covers were AI, which was surprising because I drew them myself. I don’t mind though. I think I’ll just leave Reddit alone.
 

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, I am not a reddit user, and I would have thought it would be more of the wild west in terms of attitudes about AI.

But, if they block it, they block it. I would think you should ask this question to the people on Reddit.

I am surprised you would get it through KDP and not there.
 
Well, I am not a reddit user, and I would have thought it would be more of the wild west in terms of attitudes about AI.

But, if they block it, they block it. I would think you should ask this question to the people on Reddit.

I am surprised you would get it through KDP and not there.
Yeah, I mean, I was in there for about two minutes, then left never to return, to be honest. I’m guessing KDP can see that if I were going to use artificial intelligence to create my covers, they would probably be much, much better.
 
Amazon and Reddit serve a very different purpose and have a different audience (even if they're the same people). Amazon only cares about selling stuff. If an AI cover does that, then it's fine. And if I had to venture a guess, then I'd say that more than half of all indie covers have at least some AI being used to create them.

Reddit on the other hand is a discussion platform. They don't want to be flooded with AI images for people to discuss. So they limit it in the same way that small online short story magazines get flooded by AI story submissions and have had to take action to stop it.

As for why reddit might think it's AI, I would guess it's the 6 different fonts on the cover that do at least part of it. I doubt it's only the resizing, but reddit might have a way of looking that deep into images. It could also just be a false positive. They happen in AI detection.
 
Top