• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What color is this?

I want to say beige.

md2756007307.jpg

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
You can say beige. It's fantasy! <wink>

Do a search on color names. Or even "color names beige" and see what the ranges are. Then know that different humans see colors differently. Then despair!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
And that different screens show color differently. Looks kind of green or olive to me.

This isnt another laurel and yanni thing is it?

You can say beige. It's fantasy! <wink>

Do a search on color names. Or even "color names beige" and see what the ranges are. Then know that different humans see colors differently. Then despair!
I am a simple man. Colors confuse me. Don't make it worse!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Back when I was doing web work, I would have fairly spirited ... er ... discussions about how people shouldn't fuss too much about specific colors on their web pages. The most ... er ... spirited was with the Athletics department (I worked at a university as the webmaster). They were accustomed to have specific colors for the school's team. I don't think they were even Pantone colors; they were custom. Anyway, these people were accustomed to having absolute control over advertising because it was all print. Even the stuff that went on television was just film of the print.

Then the web came along and they would scowl and me and say words like Reflex Blue! as if it were some sort of eternal constant. I never could get through to them. Different screen types, reflected color versus illuminated color, CRT versus LCD, color blindness, none of it mattered. They eventually gave up, hired an outside firm, and accepted whatever they were told because hey we were paying consulting money. <grin>

Humans are funny.

Do a Google search for "colors like beige."

One color, with variants, might work if you don't want to use beige: ecru.

Otoh, some of these colors are described as "unbleached silk" or "unbleached linen." So in a fantasy story, one of those descriptions might work better, depending on the milieu or the character describing it.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I might call that taupe. But I'd be more likely to do as FifthView suggests and compare it to something physical. I've mentioned a similar color as being like 'undyed bark cloth' in a tale.

Tom

Istar
I might call that taupe. But I'd be more likely to do as FifthView suggests and compare it to something physical. I've mentioned a similar color as being like 'undyed bark cloth' in a tale.
I'd say taupe as well. If I were to relate the color to something I'd describe it as looking like new deerskin.