• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you think of your own writing?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Since my life is totally crazy right now, I’m actually considering doing a complete breakdown of book 1 with not just the main plots, but subplots and every POv, in a crazed gigantic story grid as inspired by Coyne’s book, LOL. I’ve done it to some degree in a spreadsheet, but poster sized could be fascinating. Or scary.

For sure. I'm writing a complex story right now and really struggling with it (still in the first part of the story). But challenges help us grow as writers. I say embrace the work. :)

Plasmadora

Acolyte
I feel that I'm a bit flawed yet, but that I'm on my way of becoming really good. I can write good nowadays if I really try or if I have inspiration, but everything that I write isn't good because of lack of skill.
What I'm happy about is that I have my own original writing style. I've been careful about not getting bad influences (by choosing only good things to read, mostly respected classical literature) so that if I subconsciously "copy" something it hopefully won't be the flaws of others. However I've always been a very independent thinker, so I honestly think I'm learning more than copying when taking influences.
Writing is difficult for me though because I have very high standards. If I'm not happy with a sentence it just means that it's not finished, and I never give up before I'm happy with something. So what that means is that since I have a lot of writing that I don't find perfect, I view it as I have a lot of work and practice ahead, rather than thinking that I'm a bad writer. I think that's very important in order to reach ones goal – focusing on how I want it to be rather than how it is.