• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is this thing that's never been mentioned before?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Consider the following section:
“That's the spirit my friend. If you're lucky you may even see some wind sprites up there. They like the view too.”
“Oh, nice.” He'd seen wind sprites on TV, and now and then the little soot kin that raced in front of the subway trains back home, but never real wild wind sprites.
Would you say that the context gives you at least a vague impression of what soot kin are?

teacup

Auror
I'd say it does. I know from this that there are some soot things that are presumably alive, and that they are close to wind sprites.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Cheers. It doesn't have to be more than that. I figured it would be the case, but also that it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

Thanks. :)

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I agree with Teacup. I get a vague impression of a smoky, sooty sprite.

Question though:
Will Soot Kin comes up in the story later?

If so, I think the vague & early description is fine. If not, why include it at all?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Wind sprites will be included later and I ay mention the soot kin (their dirty urban cousins) again when that happens. Other than that the reason I'm mentioning them here is so that I can also mention the subway. The reason I want to mention the subway (and the TV) is to remind the reader that the POV character is from a place that's a little different and that seeing the wind sprite would be something exotic.

A comparison would be if he had a chance to see eagles when his only previous experience of birds are the doves in the park back home.