• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Would YOU Bring to a Dungeon Crawl?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It depends on what you know about the dungeon going in. In most of these settings a "dungeon" refers to a place, maybe a tower or pocket dimension, where monsters build up until they break out, so you have to clear them from time to time so society doesn't get overrun. But the dungeon itself could be an open field, a damp cave, a swampy temple, a mountain valley, or just about anything.

If you don't know what's inside, you don't know what gear to bring, not even what clothes to wear. Even mountain climbing gear is different than cave climbing gear. You could need any or all of that. And if you'll be there for days, the food and cooking stuff adds up. Fire starters. First Aid Kit (should we list its contents?).

As for weapons, if guns are out, the modern crossbow is a beast, and easy to reload. There's even models that shoot like a shotgun. That'll be the main weapon. You'd need a machete, an axe, a spade, maybe a crowbar. They can all double as weapons in a pinch. Each person can carry one or two different ones. Pocket knives. But let's be real, you're killing those monsters with the crossbow, or you're dead. You're not going to survive going hand to hand with anything without some magic power up.

Are gas-powered items out? Batteries? You'd want flashlights and headlamps. Radios and walkie talkies. Trucks with 4-wheel drive. Gas Tanks you can pour out and set on fire.

I don't know where I'd get explosives, but I'd want those too. You say they don't work, but there's so many different types of explosives.... maybe we just need to try a different one?

Wow, some really cool answers. Alas, I have very little experience with d and d, lots with videogame RPGs. Since, I have like zero fighting skills, unless of course it could be assumed that I would have or gain experience in such? I would make sure I had an invisibility cloak, first of all so I can bypass monsters if need be. Can I have a book of spells, like cast Ultima whenever I feel like it? Or perhaps summon an army of the undead to do my fighting? If I had to pick my skills and I'm solo, I would want to have a lot strength and skill with a two handed sword. If I just wanted to survive a stroll, I'd stick with my invisibility cloak and a stone that allowed me to see traps.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
See...I would go with OzoneQueen too, but she would be like, "Dude, are you coming?" and I would be like "Umm... Where are you?"

BearBear

Archmage
Wait, if guns explode when you use them, then just pack a small catapult and use rigged guns as ammunition.