• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's it like?

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Describe your story as combo of what stories it is most "like".

Mine is a mix of:

Pirates of the Caribbean, Night at the Museum, Hocus Pocus, and A Wrinkle in Time.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
My story Winter Hollow is similar to The Lovely Bones gone totally tragic, and also combined with A Haunting and some concepts related to the old movie Outbreak with Morgan Freeman.

My Joan of England is something like Harry Potter combined with real world Medieval history and The Craft and also some The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings perhaps, not to mention my most extreme political ideas and various other extremely personal elements. This story of mine is something that most likely I am never going to share online.

My Alice into Darkness is a combination of many elements common to all Alice in Wonderland stories, but in particular it has many things in common with the 2010 Disney movie. That is combined with a few elements of the Alice Madness Returns game and also All Quiet on the Western Front, since my story is dark in nature, and also it features various personal elements and some of my deep political ideas.

All of my Aylar stories are very different creatures, even though one of them could be compared to Romeo and Juliet.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
The thriller I am plotting out is Miller’s Crossing meets China Town and LA Confidential... or that’s the goal.

My Epic fantasy? No idea. Elements exist from LoTR and ASoIaF, but long run you could also say a bit of Dune... a pinch of Greek tragedy, LOL. Plot and story wise, I’m not sure of any comparisons beyond the superficial.

It's almost too hard to break my books down like that; they're often so tightly interwoven. But I'll give it a shot:

Final Fantasy meets The Silmarillion meets Persona for the first five books

Doctor Who meets Harry Potter meets Discworld for book 6

Star Trek meets Interstellar with a tiny bit of Firefly for book 7