• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

When Do You Find Beta Readers?

kayd_mon

Sage
I am doing the first major revision of my WIP. I feel really good about what I have, and at the halfway point of my revision, I feel like I will only need minor edits afterwards (I'm putting much more time into editing than my first draft). I have some critique partners, but when do I move to the "beta" stage?

TWErvin2

Auror
When the novel is cleared up of any plot holes you might have discovered. You've worked the dialogue so that it is distinctive for each character. When you've caught as many typos, punctuation and grammar gaffs that you reasonably can. When you feel the pacing is right, etc.

Then it's time to call in the beta readers. You don't what them to focus on things that you could've addressed beforehand, and you reasonably shouldn't expect them to read the same story twice, after you've revised (after they've read it once).

Good beta readers are a valuable resource, and should be presented with the best you can offer.

For what it's worth, I never ask people (friends etc) to read anymore. I used to force my work onto people and hassle them mercilessly for feedback. This method did not elicit much more than faint praise. Eventually I stopped asking, but continued writing for so many years that slowly I was taken seriously despite the lack of any success. The more I was taken seriously, the more people started to ask if they could read what I was working on, and that's when I hit the jackpot. (Some will have read this story on other threads so I'll keep it brief...) One Sunday afternoon I was talking to a tangential acquaintance who expressed interest in my work so I gave him the first 40-odd pages of my newest WIP. The following morning, he rang me at work, absolutely raving about it, and I had my first ever fan who hassled me relentlessly to finish the draft. He never really offered any criticism but that unbridled enthusiasm from a non-traditional friend really fired me up. That was my first book accepted by a commercial publisher and my friend is actually on the cover.

So in short, don't hassle people to read, but if they want to...and clearly love your work...that is tremendously valuable in terms of giving you confidence you're on the right track.

ACSmyth

Minstrel
I normally bring in "first readers" when I've got the story straight. All the details may not be in there yet, but I'm typically asking them

1. does it interest you?
2. have you spotted any plot holes/problems?
3. do any characters/relationships feel wrong or flat?
4. are there any points you skimmed/found boring?
5. did you understand what was going on?

They are the big things for me, that need addressing as early as possible, not when you're into line edits. I've got some good people who will tell me if a relationship doesn't convince them, or that they didn't understand what a fantasy-mumbo-jumbo was.

I'll then do another revision based on that. Then edits. And then I get in beta readers for the nitty gritty stuff. They are usually not the same people as did my first read, although some first readers are interested to beta read too, just to see how much it's changed.

Bansidhe

Minstrel
Personally, I do at least three passes of revisions before I hand off a ms. to my BETAs. One pass for content, one for continuity and my "known" issues (like POV Shenanigans), and one pass for line edits. (Hint: these are generally the same editorial passes you'll get from a publisher.) Once I get notes back, I'll do three passes again, this time incorporating the consistent notes I receive back from BETAs--not EVERY note, unless my gut tells me its relevant and they're right, because the reading experience is subjective. A final polish, and off to my editor it goes.

Hope this helps!