• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Which is scarier

ShadeZ

Maester
I have two characters trying to figure which would have a stronger terror effect.

Zeke- Zeke can tear through enemies like there are nothing. Nicknamed the Azure Warlord, the dragon ripper, and the Ice King. Zeke can manipulate water (particularly ice), augment his body for combat (gains claws, fangs, feline eyes for night vision, hawk eyes for color and distance sight etc ), has super human strength, speed, and durability comparable to a dragons. He is known for tearing through enemies as a one being army and grounding and killing ancient dragons. Zeke feeds on the security and safety those he protects feel.

Robin- Robin is a sadistic one. He targets individuals (enemy spies) and hunts them over time often becoming very close and learning all about them. He goes often years knowing his marks before killing them. He is a being who feeds on fear and pain unlike Zeke who actually survives off care and protecting others. Due to this he is known to be very cat and mouse when he does kill his enemies taking his time and letting the can't escape feeling sink in to optimize what he gets from it. He can manipulate flame and heat, he can polymorph to look like any humanoid, he can charm others, he possesses simalsr speed and power and invincibility to Zekes.

inverty

Dreamer
Zeke seems like a more complex character than Robin who comes off a bit shallow without more information. So id say Zeke because he has room for empathy but only uses it sparingly while showing his darker colors to outsiders.

Robin sounds far more terrifying, in that Zeke's power is a bit like that of a natural disaster. Scary, and unstoppable, but you know all of that. Having a threat that can insinuate itself into your most intimate spaces at all times creates a different kind of fear.

Definitely Robin. Zeke seems to be the formula for a perfect anti-hero, whereas Robin is just bad. Perhaps give some scenarios and compare how they would both react differently to each.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I am reminded of the MC in Andre' Nortons original 'Witch World' novel. That MC was a WWII veteran who became involved in a black-market operation after the war. When the gang got brutal, he quit. The gang boss had two chief assassins - the first was a brutal thug incapable of being subtle; the other a methodical hunter you didn't see coming until after you were dead. The MC disposed of the first but feared the second so much he fled through a portal to the Witch World.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think Robin, obviously, he is the one with the unknown quality. The other one you can count on to be a destroyer.

If you add a quality if not only does he protect, but he goes after what you protect, than maybe that would be scarier. But scary is a subjective word. Some wont be scared, no matter his power rating.

In general, one who is always some way is the devil you know, one who could appear to be some way, but then isn't, is more dangerous.

ShadeZ

Maester
I think Robin, obviously, he is the one with the unknown quality. The other one you can count on to be a destroyer.
Relevant to this as well. Robin is unpredictable. Zeke you can count on killing everyone and everything that's a threat to those he protects as he draws energy and power from their safety. Robin may or may not actually kill anyone. He feeds on FEAR and pain. So its not unlike him to play around with his marks for the end goal of "making a snack" of their fears. As he explains in the book it is most filling if he actually kills them but second best if he reveals himself let's them feel trapped, let's them know he can be anyone and let's them go with the promise of coming around in a year as the resulting terror can sustain him for over a year. He also does small things, If he learns someone is scared of snake he might put a snake in there path.

Despite the sadistic nature he is shown to be extremely remorseful after the fact and will almost hurt himself taking care of those he cares about as he is scared of abandonment (due to obvious prior friends and people seeing his darker side and deeming him monsterous). So with the few who have seen this and can still be around him after it he will trip over his own two feet to try to reassure them. He also has a soft spot that he will never admit for kids and sometimes makes panpipes and hay dolls for local kids. (But irrelevant to the question lol)

ShadeZ

Maester
I am reminded of the MC in Andre' Nortons original 'Witch World' novel. That MC was a WWII veteran who became involved in a black-market operation after the war. When the gang got brutal, he quit. The gang boss had two chief assassins - the first was a brutal thug incapable of being subtle; the other a methodical hunter you didn't see coming until after you were dead. The MC disposed of the first but feared the second so much he fled through a portal to the Witch World.
Zeke can be quite methodical but as Robin points out he can also be very seemingly suddenly lethal.

"Please I am calm and rational. I would be great on a spying mission."

"Ezekeil... I once saw you kill a man in one strike because he knocked over your ale."

Zeke looked unimpressed,"It was rude."

Robin raised an eyebrow at his brother,"He offered you his."

Zeke smirked,"It was poisoned. If you had half the sense for smells that I do you would have detected such. Clearly he was an assassin sent to end me."

Robin sighed,"As an assassin I think I'm qualified to tell you if he was or was not. What if you killed a random citizen."

Zeke tossed a vial of a clear liquid to Robin as he downed yet another horn of the strongest alcohol in the place to no avail,"He had that on him. Still think you're qualified, Oh might hunter?"

ShadeZ

Maester
Zeke seems like a more complex character than Robin who comes off a bit shallow without more information. So id say Zeke because he has room for empathy but only uses it sparingly while showing his darker colors to outsiders.
Zeke notably seeks to seem human as he admires them. He is helpful, empathetic, caring and protective. The monster to him only shows up when full on wars break out but when it shows he can level battlefields. 90% of the time though he is rescuing villages from monsters and dragons, or helping the common folk (both are kings), or running people to the healing hall who are gravely injured. There is little he won't sacrifice for his people and little they won't do for him as well.

Robin has many faces where Zeke has one that might occasionally seem to be 2. Both boys are an immortal species. Zeke made it known to his people long ago that he was an inhuman creature but they grew more secure in this as those he now protects he literally helped raise their great great grandparents. Robin on the other hand has whole multiple lives. Some thing he is a king, some think he is a monster hunter, some think he is just that helpful strawberry blonde boy who commutes through their town in the fall. He has been a monster hunter, an assassin, a craftsman, a blacksmith, a soldier (in his brothers army). If someone kills those who Zeke protects obviously it harms him. However, Robins need to terrorize and hurt comes from having been horribly mistreated to the point a normal desire to serve other is warped to become a desire to harm others.

ShadeZ

Maester
Definitely Robin. Zeke seems to be the formula for a perfect anti-hero, whereas Robin is just bad. Perhaps give some scenarios and compare how they would both react differently to each.
Someone spills their ale and tried to hmgive them theirs but its clear they poisoned it.

Zeke: Smack the guys skull into a wall or turn him into an ice statue on the spot. Poison won't harm you but an assassin in town is not safe.

Robin: laugh it off. Chug the ale and proceed to make your own lack of human weakness clear so the guy becomes uneasy and fearful and feed on that fear.

Battlefield

Zeke: End the fight as quickly and brutally as able so the villagers are secure.

Robin: Enjoy the sheer terror and agony of the dozens of dying and doomed men on both sides. Maybe pick off one of the enemy and befriend them claiming to be a soldier on their side of the war so you can kill him later.

Friend is crying

Zeke: Panic. While he cares and protects Zeke isn't entirely sure how to handle emotional outbursts.

Robin: give them a blankets and a pillow and make them a hot drink the proceed to snuggle them. (Robin believes himself a monster. He will comfort the rare few who don't consider him irredeemable like they are his last life line to his humanity)

An enemy has captured your friend and will kill them if you don't give yourself up.

Zeke: Would be immobilized by the fear of possibilities.

Robin: Knows his enemies intimately. Bait them into attacking him or something else. Robin's might is as much psychological as physical he is a possessing force in his monstrous form and can charm people and get into their heads. He would convince the enemy to attack him and might even convince a weaker minded foe to let the friend go and simply walk to him. His charm can be hypnotic to the extent of in emergencies he can lure enemies to him.

Despite the sadistic nature he is shown to be extremely remorseful after the fact
This just isn’t realistic to me. If someone is sadistic in their very nature, they enjoy inflicting pain, which would suggest a psychopathic nature, which would mean they do not have the capacity to feel empathy. Individuals without empathy, though they might understand that what they have done is wrong, will not have the capacity to feel remorse or guilt. You’re either sadistic and a psychopath, or you’re not.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
My assessment is that Zeke is much like the first assassin in Andre Nortons Witch World. He's brash, does things that attract attention. Regardless of his abilities, he's a walking corpse. Robin is more like the second assassin in that book, the patient hunter who carefully researches and stalks his target, who never realize their peril until it's too late. He gets caught it will be because some detective plows through a pile of cold cases and connects the dots, or something utterly random happens.