• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Workshopping Ideas for Naming Ceremonies of Aquatic Races

For the Aquatic Races in my story setting (excepting Abominations, like the Deep Ones,) I'm thinking they have Naming Ceremonies which all share certain basic elements. This is for two reasons: 1) Convenience (so I can come up with these ceremonies more efficiently) and 2) in-universe factors. All of the Water Deities of the Light Pantheon are part of a clan consisting of the two Great Stewards of Water (Melthar and Nyneve,) their children, and their sons and daughters-in law. They are not rivals, in other words; they're family. Melthar and Nyneve are the grand overseers of the Domain of Water but their children and their children's spouses look after specific Aquatic Races or specific bodies of water and those who live in, are reliant on, or travel across them. Consequently, in regards to the Aquatic Races, these Water Deities would want them to have commonalities that would foster understanding of each other and the formation of alliances. However, sailors, fishers, and shipwrights of the Terrestrial Races would worship these Deities as well, which would mean cultures closely connected to water would also have common ground with the Aquatic Races, encouraging trade and cooperation.

The basic template I have come up with for the Naming Ceremonies is... not quite finished, admittedly, but I do have two key elements they all share: 1) How the names are chosen and 2) an ablution/baptism ritual. Borrowing partially from the Romans, the Aquatic Races have multiple categories of names which, for now, are praenomen (personal names,) nomen (family/clan name,) and cognomen (earned names,) with each Aquatic Race having additional categories of names of their own (such as the Mer having what I'm calling breed names, which are based on their physical traits, which follow specific combinations of colors, patterns, and fin shapes.)

The nomen is used as a surname to identify familial associations, so it is given by default during Naming Ceremonies. A cognomen may be given during a Naming Ceremony, but most of these are chosen later in life based on accomplishments, physical and personality traits, and so forth. Some cognomen are given during an official ceremony, such as while receiving an award, but others are essentially nicknames. A cognomen can be accepted or rejected by the individual (though good luck getting people to stop using it if you reject it.)

This leaves the praenomen, of which there is always at least one, though most Aquatic Races give their children three. These praenomina are determined by sex and chosen by the child's father or paternal grandfather (or an uncle if neither are present or willing to bestow a praenomen,) the child's mother or maternal grandmother (or an aunt, if necessary,) and a priest or priestess. The order of these three praenomina is always determined by sex. If the child is a boy, the father/grandfather/uncle's pick is first, the mother/grandmother/aunt's pick is second, and the priest/priestess's pick is third. if the child is a girl, mother/grandmother/aunt's pick is first, father/grandfather/uncle's pick is second, and priest/priestess's is third.

Firstborn sons are generally named after their father or a close male relative and firstborn daughters are generally named after their mother or a close female relative, at least for their first praenomen. Later children can be given any names, though most families/clans have traditions for choosing these names, such one praenomen having a numerical meaning (i.e., "second son," "third daughter,") or starting with a particular letter determined by order of birth (B for second child, C for third, etc..) Where things get interesting is the third praenomen, chosen by the priest/priestess. This name is always derived from a Water Deity, but not limited to Water Deities directly connected to the Aquatic Race of the child or the body of water in which they were born (but these are still options.)

This is because, as mentioned, all the Water Deities of the Light Pantheon are part of the same clan and accept worshippers from all Races and locations, even if they fall outside their normal jurisdictions. Thus, the third praenomen for a Mermaid can be derived from a Water Deity of the Tritons or of a body of water on the Elven Homeworld. The criteria for choosing the third praenomen is generally if the date of birth overlaps with a religious holiday associated with a particular Water Deity, if the circumstances of the birth have parallels to some aspect of the Water Deity's history, or if the appearance of the child has traits associated with that Water Deity, to name just a few.

These are just the basic ideas I have for Aquatic Naming Conventions in my setting but I am open to workshopping these in more detail for specific Aquatic Races. As for the Naming Ceremonies themselves, I do know that one feature they all have is ritual washing. Think baptism, but with a bit of a twist - three separate washings or immersions are involved. The first is in freshwater, the second in brackish water, and the third in saltwater. This is because all the Aquatic Races (including the amphibians) can survive in all three types of water. The only waters they cannot survive in are brine, boiling water, and wastewater (though some can tolerate these for a limited time.) Thus, washing or immersing a child in the three types of water in which they may reside is symbolic of introducing them to all three main types of environs, even if they do not have direct access to one or more of them in the place they reside.

What this part of the Naming Ceremony involves, exactly, differs, due to cultural, environmental, and other factors, but, with each type of water the child is exposed to, one of their three praenomina are applied. In some cases, an urn of water may be poured over the child by the person bestowing the name. Alternatively, they may be dunked in a basin containing the water in question. And, at Water Temples with large facilities, the child and person bestowing the name may swim together in a pool. In the case of the latter, the pools may be arranged like stairs with waterfalls connecting them. The child then swims or is passed from one to the next. The pools are usually arranged with freshwater at the top, brackish water in the middle, and saltwater at the bottom, but some temples use the reverse, with magical systems reducing or removing the saline content from the water as it passes through the waterfalls.

The point is that the Naming Ceremony has at least three principle stages, the first involving freshwater, the second involving brackish water, and the third involving saltwater. Both parents may be involved in all three (and are almost always involved in the third) but in some cases, only the person bestowing the name interacts directly with the child. (I can see that getting a bit chaotic, however, since the baby may be a bit freaked out due to separation anxiety.)

So, this is all I have so far. I would love any feedback you guys have to offer on this, such as what, exactly, to call these ceremonies and the washing/immersing with water. "Baptism" doesn't work, since 1) this is about bestowing names, 2) baptism is about salvation/rebirth, and 3) baptism doesn't involve swimming around in a pool. Thus, I need a different term to use for the ablution/immersion aspects of the ceremony. I look forward to your responses and thanks in advance for any input you provide!

Oh, and, if you're wondering, yes, some babies do relieve themselves in the pools during the ceremonies, but most Aquatic Races don't see that as a bad omen, as it's a natural response to changing from one type of water to another in babies.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
The presentation ceremony.

I bring my kid before whatever body, and state for one and all, this is its name. I have presented it to all, and called it something.

What is the point of all this ritual and ceremony if not to make something widely accepted from it. I dont need a ceremony to just name my kid. So...its seems they are being presented to someone or something instead.

The presentation ceremony.

I bring my kid before whatever body, and state for one and all, this is its name. I have presented it to all, and called it something.

What is the point of all this ritual and ceremony if not to make something widely accepted from it. I dont need a ceremony to just name my kid. So...its seems they are being presented to someone or something instead.
Well, I've never heard of any naming ceremonies IRL that weren't done with at least the kid's relatives present, so I had assumed that was kind of a given. But, just because some friends and relatives attend the washing/immersing and naming process doesn't mean the whole community does, so I can see something geared toward a larger audience following that. The actual naming would usually be a more intimate affair, unless they had facilities that accommodated more people and the family wanted to involve more of the community. But, if they don't or the facilities aren't large enough for a lot of people, then a formal presentation ceremony following the naming ceremony would make sense.

In that case, they'd need an area that can accommodate a sizeable crowd of at least several hundred, the area would need to have water in it for all the Waterfolk/Seafolk, some dry ground or boats for any Landfolk who might be attending (most of the Aquatic Races live in proximity to settlements on land for trade and employment purposes,) and a stage or elevated platform so everyone would have a clear view of the kid as they announce their name to the audience. I can see a high enough rock in a lagoon being a suitable natural location to use, but a pier in a harbor would also fit the bill nicely.

Then again, most Water Temples would be built in or adjacent to a body of water, so I can see them having a dedicated area for such a presentation. In such cases, I think the priest/priestess would be the person to make the announcement to the crowd while the parents held the kid for everyone to see. And, since we need to keep all this tied to water, these facilities would probably have the presentation take place from the end of a channel with a waterfall spilling over the edge.

All right, so, we have at least two stages to this whole process: The Naming Ceremony and the Presentation Ceremony. It is possible to only have the first, if circumstances don't permit the second (for instance, if there's only a small number of family involved, they're in a remote area with not temples but a priest/priestess has been brought in, there's bad weather or some kind of threat preventing a large gathering, etc..) Normally, though, I think you would have both and whether the two ceremonies are treated as a single ceremony would depend on the facilities available. If the whole community can be present for the Naming Ceremony, then the Presentation Ceremony is just the conclusion of the process. But, if the facilities are small or they want the Naming Ceremony to be an intimate affair, only those close to the family attend the first then they go out to present their child to the rest of the community.

This, I think, would be followed by a sort of baby shower. The family of the child would move to a place where other families and individuals could approach them to see the child up close and give a gift, most often materials for clothing, furnishings, religious items, or toys. The point is for the community to show support for the family and their new child. Those who do not have any close or past affiliation with the family would not be expected to bring gifts, however. Given how tight knit I see aquatic communities being (safety in numbers and all that,) I can see there being a lot of coordinating with each other to determine who brings which gifts. I imagine that the married women of the community, as well as female elders, would be responsible for coordinating everything, with female elders being the ones in charge of the whole process, since they would have the most experience and connections.

After that, I think a feast/party would be in order. The family would not be in charge of this unless they were the only people in attendance. The rest of the time, the community, probably with assistance from the temple, would be responsible for setting things up, since the family will usually be rather preoccupied with choosing the names of the child and recovering from the delivery. (I see these ceremonies being held within 7, 12, or 40 days of the child being born.)

The celebration might have religious overtones, but I think most would just be festive affairs. Food of some variety would always be enjoyed, but I can also see music, dancing, games, and even sporting events being featured, depending on the facilities. The wealthier, higher ranking, or influential the family is, the more elaborate these celebrations could become. So, a rich Mer family in a major port city could have a massive celebration while a Mer family of moderate wealth in a fishing port would have a small and more, shall we say, rustic celebration. I think that the timing of all these things would probably be in relation to the tides for Seafolk but Waterfolk would go by the position of the Sun or time of day. Obviously, the children would be put to bed at some point, but the adults might continue to celebrate well into the night.

One last thing that occurred to me: I can see these affairs doubling as a way to forge and strengthen relations with Landfolk. Inviting Landfolk to the ceremonies and celebration would establish and maintain connections that Seafolk and Waterfolk need, since there are some things they cannot produce themselves in the water, or, at least, not in the quantities or with the quality that Landfolk can, such as metal products made at a forge. So, getting them to join in the festivities would be an efficient way to catch two fish with one harpoon.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
When i go to the place of presenting and present, those present represent the larger whole. The size of the party is just whatever they do.

Many ppl have been named without a ceremony. Im sure if you were a farmer on the american frontier, there a good chance kids were born without a church nearby.

Would simba have been any less named if the monkey never held him up over pride rock?

When i go to the place of presenting and present, those present represent the larger whole. The size of the party is just whatever they do.

Many ppl have been named without a ceremony. Im sure if you were a farmer on the american frontier, there a good chance kids were born without a church nearby.

Would simba have been any less named if the monkey never held him up over pride rock?
Less named? No, but he was the heir to the throne, so skipping that part would have probably been seen as a bad omen. (Not as bad as Scar showing up, though.)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'm not sure what to add further. Seems to me, there is a presenting, regardless of the form. I can come up with other names if you like.

I can’t really get past the fact that aquatic creatures are being baptised with…water. I don’t know how that would work. Is it like SpongeBob?

Rexenm

Maester
There is a big deal in the works, I see. No pun intended. Let us have a look at this logically. You have a very cyclical way of representing things, but I think that naming ceremonies should be involved with all walks of life, not just with mermaids. The water is a nice place to be, sure, with all the brine. It keeps things salty and saucy. But how about the cloud people, they have lessons to be learned about being named, and a name is linked to what you know. But sometimes it becomes a siren.

The family being involved in the naming rings a bell. That is a very logical thing to do. A ceremony being involved. The law gets involved. They present the child with a name. It is interesting to see that there is no particular surname for a family, and then their name is chosen in direct relationship to things that you have not yet revealed and are probably too complicated to explain to us at this point.

When there is an ocean, and then all these sentient beings live in there, then you start to wonder how all this filth ends up in their system, if you know anything, and then once you realise it is pretty much up to them on how to deal with the waste and rubbish, you notice that they have probably evolved to become immune to it yet warlike about it at the same time. At this point perhaps the naming ceremonies are a preventative measure, steeped in history, in it serving some form of peaceful purpose, and thus your naming dilemma. Find inspiration from it.

I would be interested to see what happens to a naming ceremony, before and after. There could be this little bundle, with a disciplined family, and a whole lot of ideas for naming. Or, there could be a hermit, poor and soup, with their child destined for better things. (I don’t know how soup works underwater, BTW.) I think in the long run, there is a lot of potential for naming, and not many choices when it comes down to it, but it takes a good brain to do the research of every name, unless you name it something silly, and just move on.

Rexenm

Maester
To take things in another direction, I think the latex could be taken from the mermaid scales, or something like that, to ring true to the story of the naming. It is eventually a tree, though it only has a more organic source. It could grow from the filth. At least something to do with the deity. There is the treasure hunting aspect of fantasy, perhaps they could deep dive into the shipwreck, latex forming from some relic along the way.

No one would mind. The only problem is, the latex could be transmuted, resulting from the religious take of the naming ceremony. It has to make its way from sea to land, becoming the tree, becoming real grass roots. It could even have something to do with that, if you take my meaning. From flying ship to sinking into the sea, finding relics in the depths of latex is a really boring quality, if it comes to that. It proves itself. It is easy to find bubbles in the sea. But what would they want to possess out of a world of latex without latex. It could become really boring. Not fantasy, but action adventure, like Hook.

A stupid point, but maybe the latex comes from the origin of latex. It could be magically formed of its own boring nature, being confused into existence, and then forming bonds with the mermaids, who hide in the secret of eternal life, and then it eventually becomes a tree, which dupes the minds of its gardeners.

just a thought

There is a big deal in the works, I see. No pun intended. Let us have a look at this logically. You have a very cyclical way of representing things, but I think that naming ceremonies should be involved with all walks of life, not just with mermaids. The water is a nice place to be, sure, with all the brine. It keeps things salty and saucy. But how about the cloud people, they have lessons to be learned about being named, and a name is linked to what you know. But sometimes it becomes a siren.

The family being involved in the naming rings a bell. That is a very logical thing to do. A ceremony being involved. The law gets involved. They present the child with a name. It is interesting to see that there is no particular surname for a family, and then their name is chosen in direct relationship to things that you have not yet revealed and are probably too complicated to explain to us at this point.

When there is an ocean, and then all these sentient beings live in there, then you start to wonder how all this filth ends up in their system, if you know anything, and then once you realise it is pretty much up to them on how to deal with the waste and rubbish, you notice that they have probably evolved to become immune to it yet warlike about it at the same time. At this point perhaps the naming ceremonies are a preventative measure, steeped in history, in it serving some form of peaceful purpose, and thus your naming dilemma. Find inspiration from it.

I would be interested to see what happens to a naming ceremony, before and after. There could be this little bundle, with a disciplined family, and a whole lot of ideas for naming. Or, there could be a hermit, poor and soup, with their child destined for better things. (I don’t know how soup works underwater, BTW.) I think in the long run, there is a lot of potential for naming, and not many choices when it comes down to it, but it takes a good brain to do the research of every name, unless you name it something silly, and just move on.
These naming ceremonies would apply to all Aquatic Races, not just Mer. I highlighted the Mer's method to show how one Aquatic Race can differ from another. I'm still developing the other Aquatic Races, such as the Tritons, so I don't have a solid idea of how their naming ceremonies would be distinct from the rest.

Regarding surnames, some Aquatic Races do have fixed surnames for their families, such as the Mer. Others use patronymic or matronymic surnames, most often patronymic for boys and matronymic for girls. (So, for example, if the boy is named Mark and his father is John, his full name would be Mark Johnson but Mark's son, Peter, would be Peter Markson, not Peter Johnson.)

Another way surnames can differ from one Aquatic Race to another is occupational surnames, i.e., Smith, Tailor, Shoemaker, Weaver, etc., but the occupations of Aquatic Races tend to be things like Fisher, Pearl-Diver, Scavenger, Mender (for those who do ship repairs beneath the water line,) Singer (for those who sing to warn ships away from rocks hidden beneath the water's surface,) and so forth.

Also, regarding water pollution, that's an entirely different subject worth its own thread, so I won't get into here beyond stating keeping water clean is just as important to the Terrestrial Races as the Aquatic Races because both need clean water to survive. The key was finding profitable ways to convert waste into useful products, thus creating a financial incentive to adopt the methods used to keep water clean. Thus, tensions over water pollution are relatively low compared to what you might expect them to be.

Rexenm

Maester
You could take advice from Citizen Sleeper. That is a very interesting piece of art. It begins in a bad place, but eventually you move up the ranks, and find out more about all the work you can do. It ends abruptly, but there is still an element of skill to the game.

I had an idea from it, where I took inspiration from the prose, and began to devise a story along those lines. It didn’t have a gamer nature to it, but it was still true to the fiction of the prose, and I even derived meaning from its original source.

There are some curious bits to it, like the lucidity of the nether. It had back lash in the community, with the variation of the storyline and plot, with gun battles, then fairly rudimentary and mundane aspects to balance it. Veganism, and torture, being among them as stark contrast.

However, what I believed to be a fairly dismal idea, such as the way it moved on like a train, to be an accompaniment to the dismal nature of the prose as well. Like some folded up piece of junk, they labour for a cause, that merely keeps them alive, whilst slowly being shrouded in mystery, forming several parts to the whole. I’m no expert on it, but I enjoyed it none the same.

This is like your world, or your seperate works, where there is seemingly mundane industrial movements, with back alley transactions, that move the plot forward, and a vast ocean of elements, that get drawn back to the same mundane origins of the very questions you ask yourself when choosing between a rock and a hard place, but I like the way you have really thought about the world.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
What is wrong with immersion ceremony?

Are you just wanting a word different from baptism? Cause naming, immersion, and presentation ceremonies would seem to have it covered.

How about, revealing the pearl, as a way of suggesting it is unknown until the clam is opened what type of pearl it has, so a revealing the pearl ceremony as a way of saying, revealing the kid.

What is wrong with immersion ceremony?

Are you just wanting a word different from baptism? Cause naming, immersion, and presentation ceremonies would seem to have it covered.

How about, revealing the pearl, as a way of suggesting it is unknown until the clam is opened what type of pearl it has, so a revealing the pearl ceremony as a way of saying, revealing the kid.

Yes, the reason I want a word other than baptism is because I want the term used to somehow tie into receiving a name. "Baptize" means "to dip, immerse, sink," so it does fit the act, but not the purpose. Further, "baptism" is more associated with purification, renewal, and redemption, a symbolic act that ties into a religious conversion or renouncing an old way of life and symbolic washing yourself clean of your old ways, which can involve adopting a new name, but these ceremonies are about the first names a child receives. So, I need a word that 1) reflects that purpose on some level, but 2) still ties into water somehow.

I did consider using the term "anoint," but that word is tied to smearing of oil (specifically medicinal oils, originally.) So, I need a word of phrase that ties into naming and the use of water.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I had this issue once with the word Sarcophagus, which I thought was too Egyptian, but as it turns out, there is just no other word that means the same thing. My choices were to just go with it, or invent a new term. Maybe you need invent a term.

How about the naming is the Ritual of Melthar, and the Immersing is the Ritual of Nyneve?

I had this issue once with the word Sarcophagus, which I thought was too Egyptian, but as it turns out, there is just no other word that means the same thing. My choices were to just go with it, or invent a new term. Maybe you need invent a term.

How about the naming is the Ritual of Melthar, and the Immersing is the Ritual of Nyneve?
You do have a point. Baptism may be the only word that describes the ceremony in a way that people will understand. I've been looking for other terms, but none of them really fit.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I would go with, naming, immersion, and presentation ceremonies, or come up with words in their cultures that meant the same thing.

At the risk of pissing in the font so to speak, do you have a naming ceremony in your story? If not do the details of what they are like really matter?

The discussion and world building was very interesting by the way.