• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Lore - Looking for feedback on a small text

TheTdroid

Dreamer
I am writing a text that is a part of the lore for my universe, and I was hoping for some feedback. Keep in mind, this text might be a little confusing. The reasons for that is explained in the text itself. Hope you enjoy the read.

Also, the parts in italic is the commentaries of the author, in case that didn't come across well.

The Nonar Sava
The Nonar Sava, named so because of the frequent use of these words in all of the texts, is a collection of two incomplete texts found in a library left by the Old Kingdom, in the now uncovered depths of the Narodian capital, believed to be from the Nonarak themselves. What little we have been able to make sense of is collected in the library of Ker, the capital of Ketor. This is a translation of what we know of the tongue spoken in the Old Kingdom, to the best ability of our scholars.

As far as we have determined, this might have been the basis of the practices the Nonarak held, and might be a form of nature worship.

Vilender, Priest of Nazarine and scholar of the 4th Great Empire of Narodia.

In the beginning, the Nonar Sava Et the World and brought the gift of the World to the Som. In the Skies the Som dwells, watching over the Nonar Vahe.

Perhaps a start of the creation story for the Nonarak, but it is hard to determine. Only this passage of this text had survived the centuries.

Va’Entre’Rihen Nonar Et, beams with power upon the frozen wastes, everlasting and ever seeing, and ever speaking to the Nonar Sava. Dreams of Dark plague Man(possible translation for Nonar Sava, but it is yet to be confirmed) , but also tell of the secrets of the Va’Entre’Rihen. A sign to watch, and to fear.

Nonar Sova call to the Height(believed to be mistranslated, but it has no real alternative as of this date)
Nonar Sova call to the Lord
Nonar Sova fly as the Wind
Nonar Sova you path leads to the Grave
Nonar Sova the Grave is the Night
Nonar Sova the Night is Van’Teram

Va’Entre’Rihen Et Van’Teram in the skies and has since watched over the Nonar Sava, even Til left the chosen land and betrayed their path(one scholar proposed that path could be better understood if used with a capital P. This is still a controversy, but not an unfounded suggestion).

Velomor Et Naz’Ranihine pass through the Nonar Sava as if life and death itself, ever bringing their gifts and demands. Velomor Et Va’Entre’Rihen sas Som.

The meaning of this text is unclear and the passage describing Velomor and Naz’Ranihine were separated from the rest by another paragraph that had been rendered unreadable.

Some words that we have yet to determine the meaning of are ‘Et’, ‘Som’, ‘sas’, ‘Nonar’ and ‘Sava’, and it is difficult to determine the meaning of this without those.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
It certainly looks like a believable "lost" text, but I'm not sure how an unclear text with no known meaning helps your story (unless this text is the center of the story)

TheTdroid

Dreamer
It certainly looks like a believable "lost" text, but I'm not sure how an unclear text with no known meaning helps your story (unless this text is the center of the story)

Well, that is not the point of it, in the sense that it is not a direct part of the stories set in the world. This is a part of building the world itself, "extended lore" if you will, much like there is much more to Middle Earth than The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings than the books themselves touch on.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
As lore, it is ok. But I'd suggest to build the entire story behind it, if it just for worldbuilding then there's no need for speculation, your word is law. At least that's what I'd do

TheTdroid

Dreamer
As lore, it is ok. But I'd suggest to build the entire story behind it, if it just for worldbuilding then there's no need for speculation, your word is law. At least that's what I'd do

I agree, there should be a story to it. And there is, it is just a bit more complicated than that. If you have any experience with Elder Scrolls lore, you should have a fair idea of how I want to present my lore. Subjective, questionable, speculative, requires context to make sense.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
I agree, there should be a story to it. And there is, it is just a bit more complicated than that. If you have any experience with Elder Scrolls lore, you should have a fair idea of how I want to present my lore. Subjective, questionable, speculative, requires context to make sense.

That's a lot of work, I know because I've been trying to do the same for over a year and I'm not even close to finishing. Best of luck! :D