• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Love

That's kinda the point. It isn't stable and you don't know that the characters will remain together.

If I wrote a story involving a married couple, I wouldn't be sure to include every possible marriage arrangement and outcome that we might suppose to be possible on the basis of the entire history of the human race. It's a single instance. And barring death, they will not part; it's a given. This kind of marriage happens.

C

Chessie

Arranged marriages are a thing in fantasy. I've read a few fantasy books with that situation. So, the journey is really about their emotional journey, not the label of the relationship itself. Meaning even if characters are married, they're still undertaking an emotional journey within story and that should be threatening their status all the time.

I mean, if I wanted to write about a married relationship that was fractured and dysfunctional, I could, I suppose...

HALP. Everything I say turns into a
disagreement.

C

Chessie

It's discussion not disagreement. The internet is a fabulous thing.

Arranged marriages are a thing in fantasy. I've read a few fantasy books with that situation. So, the journey is really about their emotional journey, not the label of the relationship itself. Meaning even if characters are married, they're still undertaking an emotional journey within story and that should be threatening their status all the time.

Nope, with the exception of death, unless they are unkillable immortals.

And by mentioning "married love," I didn't mean a reference to the institution of marriage. The two characters I mentioned were not even technically married in the sense of making vows. But I think it's fair to call it a "married love," for want of a better word. Common law marriage? Call it committed love, unquestioned love and partnership, whatever, if the term "married" brings bad associations.

C

Chessie

And by mentioning "married love," I didn't mean a reference to the institution of marriage. The two characters I mentioned were not even technically married in the sense of making vows. But I think it's fair to call it a "married love," for want of a better word. Common law marriage? Call it committed love, unquestioned love and partnership, whatever, if the term "married" brings bad associations.
It should still be about the emotional journey though. Isn't that what internal goals are? Just because a couple lives happily ever after doesn't mean there aren't problems and threats to the stability of their marriage. Your argument doesn't make sense on a social & scientific basis alone. But alas, that's just my opinion and I seriously need to go write! :)

Let me clarify. The state of marriage is not a stable relationship. Chessie said it better, probably because she isn't stealing minutes to post from work.

LOL I am actually. My manuscript is staring me in the face!

Your argument doesn't make sense on a social & scientific basis alone.

You haven't met my parents and my sister, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Incidentally, there's another thread I've thought of starting but have worried it'd be too complex and potentially contentious, concerning the role of character desires and needs in stories. It would probably tie into this topic quite well, but maybe best to save that discussion.

^This.

What I'm referring to is that the characters are already committed to each other. Sure, their relationship still is in a state of evolution constantly, but they are still together, and their commitment means they'll stay together. That's really all I meant by the relationship being stable.

And I guess you could write about characters' journeys trying to maintain the stability of their marriage. And yes, divorce is a thing. But I was picturing a story about two characters who are in a relationship and it's just a fact, like two characters being brothers, and the plot isn't centered around them trying to stay together or maintain stability. and it addresses and discusses the nature of their relationship a lot, showing the ups and downs and ins and outs, but the main plot is something outside of their relationship. I guess I imagined the relationship as a subplot. Like the idea I mentioned with the elderly married couple slaying orcs.

But, yeah, you could totally write the story of the emotional journeys of two married people. Would it be the same as a romance? The characters are already together, but the goal has not been achieved.

Last edited:
You can write a story exploring a relationship without having its stability be threatened, correct?

Absolutely. For instance, the exterior threats could inspire a desire to protect a loved one, a fear for the loved one's wellbeing. Maybe on a technical level the potential for death is a threat to the stability of the relationship; but I don't think this is what Chessie's referring to. It could be the two are worried about people outside that relationship, the state of the populace, the state of the world, and the story explores how they work together. It's not all about exploring how their own partnership can be threatened with dissolution, the internal doubts about the viability and worthiness of remaining a couple.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
You can write a story exploring a relationship without having its stability be threatened, correct?

I'd like to think so. My WIP Bellringer has a f/f relationship as its subplot; the main plot revolves around the MC and her love interest thwarting the efforts of a man who wants to kill all werewolves (which is a big deal since the MC is one). The only threats to the relationship are external -- people trying to kidnap and/or kill them. And in the end they're not ready for a happily ever after; they've just realized that they actually love each other rather than just being friends and sharing a room. I don't even have them kiss once.

C

Chessie

I just think that the idea of a romantic relationship never being unstable is completely unrealistic. There's always something going on that could lead people to separate. Always. Even outside influence such as a family member's death. Anything could cause it, really. But I rest my case.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I just think that the idea of a romantic relationship never being unstable is completely unrealistic. There's always something going on that could lead people to separate. Always. Even outside influence such as a family member's death. Anything could cause it, really. But I rest my case.

The point isn't that they could not separate. The point is that they don't. That's all I'm going to say.

Gryphos

Auror
It might be interesting to discuss the idea of the rejection of certain kinds of love by characters.

For example, one of my stories deals heavily in the concept of family. The main characters consist of the three children of an earl, setting off on a quest to avenge her murder out of a sense of honour. One of the siblings is Fletcher, who growing up managed to just about resist her parents' attempts to groom her to be sold away for political marriage and fulfilled her own desire of becoming a knight just like her older sister. The main thrust of Fletcher's arc is that she comes to the realisation that she doesn't love her parents, as one supposedly should, but outright embraces her hatred for them. Despite being told by them many times that 'everything we do is for your own good', she basically turns around and says 'no, f*ck you'.

She recognises that there is no inherent reason to love one's family, and in doing so, she rejects that form of love. To add a sinister flavour to this, when she finally confronts the murderer of her mother, she thanks him, before killing him anyway.

I find the idea of rejecting love interesting, and it can probably be applied to all forms of love for interesting character development.