• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing test, does your story suck?

Tom

Istar
Oh my god, it's the fantasy novelist's exam! I remember taking this quiz years ago for the project I'm still working on. It's come a long way since then, I think I scored pretty poorly with the old version of the plot.

4. Is your story about a young character who comes of age, gains great power, and defeats the supreme badguy?
5. Is your story about a quest for a magical artifact that will save the world?
6. How about one that will destroy it?

Ehhhh.....? Technically yes to 4 and 6...but the bad guy isn't a person. And the artifact is only destroying one island, not the whole world. (But this island feels like their whole world to the main characters.)

Well, I did a lot better than last time. I think I still have the printout of the exam I wrote my old answers on tucked away in an old folder somewhere. It would be hilarious to go back and reread them.

4. Kinda but i don't want to give too much away
8. Yes
21. Every character is torn about their heritage in some way in my book.
49. in her defense she's under a magical oath she tells and she dies.
57. magic parasol
61. does it count if their both guys instead?
63. If its Sealiea wearing a slasher smile and holding a pair of scissors or a pencil the hero will pee his pants becuse a ten pound sledge wielded by a manticore is less scary then her with any sharp object let alone a dagger.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Does my story suck?
Probably, its changed a lot since I started, and I've changed as well. I am not sure if I would write the same story if I started over again. I fear I was too slow though, and missed a windows of opportunity with it, but trends come and go. I think my biggest lament is that I am so slow in writing it.

4 Is your story about a young character who comes of age, gains great power, and defeats the supreme badguy?

Possibly on this one. Comes of age is seems likely, great power was true from the start, defeats supreme baddy...not sure yet.;.

25 Do you not know when the hay baler was invented?
I did not, but is not sure how its relevant

28 Is this the first book in a planned trilogy, and 29) How about a quintet or a Decalogue?
Maybe. It was not the original intent though.

37 Do any of your main characters have names longer than three syllables?

Um...yes and no. Depends on who speaks the name. Most characters have shortened the names of the major characters to two syllables or less.

More important question, will I ever finish... I don't know.

The rest of the questions don't apply.