• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

You are writing a musical, and this musical will become a film...

I grew up on Rogers & Hammerstein that my mother had forever on the record player, but never really liked modern musicals until fairly recently. The Book of Mormon was hilarious with great songs and Hamilton is a work of pure genius. Seen both three times.

BJ Swabb

Sage
I'm a musical freak. Haven't seen a bad musical yet that has been on,off broadway or west side in London. I've seen over 70 musicals in my life.

The Book of Mormon is one that piques my interest. I liked the few songs in The Hobbit that the dwarves sing at the very beginning as that same tune is carried on throughout the rest of the films. And can you count Disney films as musicals? Although they appeal to nostalgia more than anything for me.

BJ Swabb

Sage
The Book of Mormon is one that piques my interest. I liked the few songs in The Hobbit that the dwarves sing at the very beginning as that same tune is carried on throughout the rest of the films. And can you count Disney films as musicals? Although they appeal to nostalgia more than anything for me.
Of course disney films count

Funnily enough the only ‘musical’ you can say I like is the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder. He was Willy Wonka to me, and I just love that 70’s vibe.
To be fair I never watched the remake of the OG Charlie and the chocolate factory. That movie looked 'loyal' to the story but in all the wrong ways + the 'modernization' nonsense studios like to do. I do like the OG C&TCF though.
<--Likes Musicals. Specially, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. Evita, and Jesus Christ Superstar are my favs.

Not thrilled with many of the more recent ones. They dont seem to go deep enough for me, but...

But....I do love a good song in many of the movies I have seen. A lot of disney songs still stick with me to this day. And a few of the villain songs are top notch.

Still dont think I will ever write a musical. But, who knows. maybe after the big story is done, the guitar may speak to me some more.

PS: I never really cared for WIlly Wonka, but the oompa loompa song does go through my brain every once in a while. I am not sure why it getting re-made though. That is not exactly a story crying out for a better rendition, and knowing Holywood, they dont have the skill.
The ompa loompa songs are legitimate ear worms, seriously how the hell did they make them so dang catchy?

Miles Lacey

Archmage
I did like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Tommy, Mamma Mia (after a few drinks), Jesus Christ Superstar, The Wizard of Oz and even Frozen. And Phantom of the Opera. Usually, I need to have a few stiff drinks, be physically restrained to a chair that's bolted to the floor and a couple of heavies standing on either side of me before I can watch them.

I did like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Tommy, Mamma Mia (after a few drinks), Jesus Christ Superstar, The Wizard of Oz and even Frozen. And Phantom of the Opera. Usually, I need to have a few stiff drinks, be physically restrained to a chair that's bolted to the floor and a couple of heavies standing on either side of me before I can watch them.
You’re one of those secret musical fans!