• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

You are writing a musical, and this musical will become a film...

What song type would be the most fun/challenging for you to write?

I feel like the Villain song would be the most fun to write, especially the 'reprise' version where they get their dues. (like friends on the other side)
The most challenging one for me I think would be those weird...talk singing ones. You know where they're not fully singing, but not fully talking either.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Id skip the mustard one.

Is still have to say comedy. For me, the real hard part would be the music portion of it.

Id skip the mustard one.

Is still have to say comedy. For me, the real hard part would be the music portion of it.
hmm then write a crime drama suspense thriller musical, nobody's done that before XD
I'd imagine in this scenario you wouldn't be the one writing the accompanying music (the studio making the film would be doing that)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
hmm then write a crime drama suspense thriller musical, nobody's done that before XD
I'd imagine in this scenario you wouldn't be the one writing the accompanying music (the studio making the film would be doing that)
Assassins. I had an old school friend who went on and on about it. Ad nauseum.

Personally, I love musicals, I married into a musician family, my father-in-law is a song writer of some small but enduring renown, and I can't rhyme my way out of a paper sack. With two hands and a flashlight.

But! that's what having more-talented friends is for!

If I were writing a musical I think I'd want to make the songs feel natural. Give the characters a reason to be singing. Cause while most musicals don't do this and have plethora of great tracks I think from a writer's side it'd bug me if characters were singing with no contextual explanation :ROFLMAO: Though I want to write almost slapstick type comedy so I suppose this stance might be hypocritical in a way

It's hard to say a specific type of song that I would want to write the most... but probably something that pairs with a high action scene. I also tend to really like songs written in F# Major, so that's from a musical standpoint. But ultimately I wouldn't say I've really taken a stab at writing song lyrics, so it's something that's a bit difficult to weigh in on.

One of my works in progress is a comedy/crime novel about a retired rock musician. Every chapter is a song title and I've written all of the songs and recorded a few of them. Here they are on bandcamp for your interest...

The idea is that the book and album will be released together.

Rexenm

Inkling
Id write a musical about Lazarus, though make it depressing; ore a musical where they round up prisoners, and put them in to mansions.

I had a screenplay I was working on: How to Score a Rockstar Boyfriend, where the singer has a secret, and the protagonist has to Nancy Drew her way into his pants. I never decided on what the secret was, but I couldn’t decide on one thing, making it pretty much forsaken.

Id write a musical about Lazarus, though make it depressing; ore a musical where they round up prisoners, and put them in to mansions.

I had a screenplay I was working on: How to Score a Rockstar Boyfriend, where the singer has a secret, and the protagonist has to Nancy Drew her way into his pants. I never decided on what the secret was, but I couldn’t decide on one thing, making it pretty much forsaken.
Simple, you pull a Kung Fu Panda and go that the secret is that there is no secret. The cliche is old as hell but it's been used often enough that at this point, it's almost impossible to execute poorly. (I'm sure SOMEBODY has but I'm not counting comedies)

I don't know what kind of musical I would write. The only thing I'd make sure of is that the songs don't overstay their welcome. I HATE when Musicals do that.
I get that telling the story through song is the whole point, but god we don't need a 10 minute song about why Beauty wants to get out of her boring old town. I'm fine with the length of the original version (which is about 5 or 6 mins?) if you can accomplish a musical story telling with a shorter song I'd say you did it right.

Rexenm

Inkling
Not to drink your drink, but Kung Fu Panda would make an awesome musical. The five could do back up a cappella.

Not to drink your drink, but Kung Fu Panda would make an awesome musical. The five could do back up a cappella.
Jack black has proven he can sing decently (School of Rock) so why not lol I don't know if the VA's of the Five could sing well but it could work.

Rexenm

Inkling
Funny story. I was in a band, and I told them I hated that movie, and I got kicked out, because they were all fat. I have pictures of them holding me aloft, because I was thin at the time. What I meant was I hated that movie. I also got heaps of merch, selling the idea that my position could get me loads of free. I was replaced, but there is a song here:

Funny story. I was in a band, and I told them I hated that movie, and I got kicked out, because they were all fat. I have pictures of them holding me aloft, because I was thin at the time. What I meant was I hated that movie. I also got heaps of merch, selling the idea that my position could get me loads of free. I was replaced, but there is a song here:
I'm sorry but I nearly had a stroke trying to read this, could you clarify a bit?

Jack Black was in Tenacious D!

On another note, I’d be impressed if anyone could convert me to liking musicals 🫢 I just can’t get along with them.
Musicals are a pretty hard sell ye, as I said I like the ones where the songs don't overstay their welcome.
You should give the new Willy Wanka movie a go, not only is the lead actor a pretty dang good singer, the songs in that one are great, and pretty short. My favorite musicals are the ones where the songs get 'straight to the point' if that makes sense. The ones that are agonizing (even if you like musicals) are the ones where the songs have like 2 minutes + of repeated verses. Like how Friend Like Me in aladdin never really repeats verses, but every verse is a new part of the story.

Musicals are a pretty hard sell ye, as I said I like the ones where the songs don't overstay their welcome.
You should give the new Willy Wanka movie a go, not only is the lead actor a pretty dang good singer, the songs in that one are great, and pretty short. My favorite musicals are the ones where the songs get 'straight to the point' if that makes sense. The ones that are agonizing (even if you like musicals) are the ones where the songs have like 2 minutes + of repeated verses. Like how Friend Like Me in aladdin never really repeats verses, but every verse is a new part of the story.
Funnily enough the only ‘musical’ you can say I like is the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder. He was Willy Wonka to me, and I just love that 70’s vibe.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
<--Likes Musicals. Specially, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. Evita, and Jesus Christ Superstar are my favs.

Not thrilled with many of the more recent ones. They dont seem to go deep enough for me, but...

But....I do love a good song in many of the movies I have seen. A lot of disney songs still stick with me to this day. And a few of the villain songs are top notch.

Still dont think I will ever write a musical. But, who knows. maybe after the big story is done, the guitar may speak to me some more.

PS: I never really cared for WIlly Wonka, but the oompa loompa song does go through my brain every once in a while. I am not sure why it getting re-made though. That is not exactly a story crying out for a better rendition, and knowing Holywood, they dont have the skill.