• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to be more creative when writing.

I often look for two very much different ideas that could possibly be combined.
Creating very snazzy outcomes.
Or perhaps creating a perplexing scene or ambience.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...when I think of creative, I tend to think of Mrs Rowling, and all the stuff she included, from living portraits, to bertles beans, but....if I was to try to include that much creativity in my story, it would die a stupid death. That one is a kids story, and I am not writing a kids story.

But I have been plenty creative. I created the world, the people, the lore and legends, and the power above, and everything about them. You wont see much of it repeated in other stories, or here on earth. Even my trees are not mostly green.

At present, I am trying to come up with a creature that is not a horse, a wolf or a warg, an elephant, a reptile, an eagle, a worm, an insect, or a bear, that might serve as a mount for my baddies. Been spinning on that for a few days.

Creativity is not a barrier for me. I can usually make stuff up as I get to it. Sometimes, I even reject stuff.

I find I have a good creative well when I need it. To use it, I just have to have a need.

Writing as you do in itself is what I’d describe as ‘creative’. Humans are creative creatures. To be more creative, you could do some writing exercises, trying different methods and aiming for differing outcomes. Painters have some great exercises to ‘warm up’, such as simply looking with the eye, not at the page, and drawing what they see without taking the pen or brush off the paper. Perhaps there are some similar warm ups you could do for your writing?

Incanus

Auror
I’m kind of wondering if you mean being creative while adding words to your draft, or if you mean being creative in general with your WIP.

By default, I’m more creative while sitting down and writing than when I’m doing laundry or putting gas in my car.

But yes, putting two ideas together that haven’t gone together before can be a potent tool. Doing exactly that has led me to two of the most foundational aspects of my story and story-world.

The OP mentioned ‘creating a perplexing scene’ – That may not be a very good goal. A complicated scene might be good, but a perplexing one means it would be difficult for a reader to understand.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
More creative than what?

I'm not sure I have a definition of creativity that I'm comfortable with across the board. As was pointed out, there's creating the world, then there's creating the sentence. There's also creating characters, character arcs, creating plot twists. What, in any of those, would be considered less or more creative than some other?

When I hear people speak of being less creative, it's nearly always in the context of originality or production. That is, "less creative" means less original, more imitative. And in the context of production, it's in connection with writer's block. So, I suppose "more creative" would mean being "more original", but that feels too narrow. It doesn't leave room for the wonderfully evocative description, the clever insight, or the profound emotion. It doesn't even leave room for the well-told joke. Similarly, "more creative" meaning "more productive" feels almost mechanical. Just a measurement of output.

So, yes it's a perfectly good word. It's right there in the dictionary and it's used all the time by creative types. (you know who you are) But it always makes me a little uneasy and sometimes prompts me to posts like this one.

Creativity: A Short and Cheerful Guide
- by John Cleese

He just wrote it, and he reads the audiobook.
It's about an hour long and it's delightful.

"Stringing" or "Weaving" characters from place to place can help.
Say a character follows many paths in a certain direction with many stops on the way.
I imagine a bead on a necklace that is being made, or something like a dream catcher being made.
Each string like a path and each bead like a stop along the way.
Or perhaps the beads could be like ruins or castles along the way.

When writing poetry, try to think of a poem to write that seems forgotten, or rarely written.
Choose some themes for the poem, such as love or hate.
Or make your poem without a theme, this can result in a beautiful yet silly poem.
Try to make your poem "Tease" the mind of the reader.
Write some twists or turns in the poem, or add reflective value.

You could choose a poem that you feel has creative value.
This poem could leave the reader with a swirly creative feeling when reading the poem.
Philosophical undertones can be important in poetry.
Make your poem with some hidden meaning, so that the reader has to ponder what he or she is reading.