• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is more important? Plot, or storytelling ability?

Joe McM

Minstrel
I agree that you need both: the plot to move things along at a good pace, and the storytelling to take a reader on an interesting and unique journey.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Plot is important. But to be honest there have been great books of literature that lacked plots. Sometimes academics even notice. ;) Now, it may be because I'm Irish and both literary gymnastics and the blarney have been passed down generationally since before our priests and our bards sat down to see exactly how screwed up we could make Irish Gaelic on the page.

The answer is apocalyptically.

Even with the best plot, the most intriguing characters, the most meticulous research, even with all of this, without storytelling chops the reader doesn't engage. It's that simple. I'm here to entertain first, and only later, once we've worked our characters in deep, does the reader realize that we're all subversive and transgressive and stuff. Always makes me smile.

I stand corrected...
I was thinking automatic cars.

With the ideal that both plot and storytelling are a balanced mix, I’d say that I’ve read some books with one hell of a convoluted plot, but the storytelling has made up for it. And as aforementioned, biographic style books don’t need a plot at all.