• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A celebration of FANTASY FOOD

Wait…are we just casually discussing cannibalism?

Culturally that is fascinating Miles Lacey, but somehow I can’t undo the taboo-ness of it in my mind!

Miles Lacey

Archmage

Culturally that is fascinating Miles Lacey, but somehow I can’t undo the taboo-ness of it in my mind!

Well... the subject is fantasy food and there's no denying the fact that many cultures practised cannibalism to varying degrees in the real world. Why should fantasy worlds be any different?

In my WIP the staple diet is rice based so nearly all dishes will have rice served in different ways. Rice also tends to vary in quality and nutritional value.

Among the poor there is what they call Charity (or Dumpster) Soup in which rice, parts of fish and animals not normally intended for human consumption, vegetables that are no longer fresh and food scraps found in bins are put into large pots and boiled. Herbs and spices are added to make the food more palatable.

Fried insects are often given to children as a treat. Fried cockroaches have a sweet tasting flesh so they're particularly popular.

Rat On A Stick is also popular among the poor. They tend to eat the rat roasted and sprinkled with a hot spice or pepper.

If money isn't an issue eating dragon meat is the ultimate luxury. It's very rare and it has to be cooked in just the right way or the consumer will die. Only mages eat blue dragon meat as it would kill most people.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership

Thursday night on Scribes.

Well... the subject is fantasy food and there's no denying the fact that many cultures practised cannibalism to varying degrees in the real world. Why should fantasy worlds be any different?

In my WIP the staple diet is rice based so nearly all dishes will have rice served in different ways. Rice also tends to vary in quality and nutritional value.

Among the poor there is what they call Charity (or Dumpster) Soup in which rice, parts of fish and animals not normally intended for human consumption, vegetables that are no longer fresh and food scraps found in bins are put into large pots and boiled. Herbs and spices are added to make the food more palatable.

Fried insects are often given to children as a treat. Fried cockroaches have a sweet tasting flesh so they're particularly popular.

Rat On A Stick is also popular among the poor. They tend to eat the rat roasted and sprinkled with a hot spice or pepper.

If money isn't an issue eating dragon meat is the ultimate luxury. It's very rare and it has to be cooked in just the right way or the consumer will die. Only mages eat blue dragon meat as it would kill most people.
You would fit in alarmingly well in the Books of Binding.

I mean... more or less I make delicious bone broth exactly the same way. Onion skins, chicken feet, chewed bones, carrots ends...

Queshire

Istar
I'm going to be unpopular for saying this, but I tend to bounce off of depictions of food in fiction. Most of the time I end up skipping to the end of the list of foods whenever a banquet shows up.

That said, when I think about it food has come up pretty often in my worldbuilding. For the most part I've used it to try to emphasize that the setting isn't Earth / medieval Europe despite having Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, etc and to look at how magic isn't limited to wizards in their tower, but touches every aspect of society.

I don't know. Knowing the Books of Binding, is it actually cannibalism if it's vampires or werewolves (or weresharks) doing the eating? I think it counts more as simply what you can do with your prey / cattle, just like how we view a cow...

That’s true, if it’s non-human beings then it might not be considered true cannibalism. But ‘were’ in werewolf means man doesn’t it, so where does distinction get made?? 😆

The question where the wolf begins and the man ends in the Books of Binding is one for A. E. Lowan ;) It's a tricky one, also because they might consider themselves different even if they aren't.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I used to dumpster dive at a local donut shop chain until the bastards started dumping bleach in the trash bags full of day-olds.
There's something wrong with people. And I say this with a year of living homeless at 19 under my belt. Before this anti-social behavior. And that's all I'm saying. The world is rife with discontent, and I prefer to not bring it here. We're writers. We can make our own discontent!

The question where the wolf begins and the man ends in the Books of Binding is one for A. E. Lowan ;) It's a tricky one, also because they might consider themselves different even if they aren't.
It is a tricky one. We don't even use the term 'were,' because of the insta-grab for 'wolf,' and we're way past just wolves. We call our shapeshifters 'therian' or 'therianthropes,' and at last count we were sitting at 42 types, mammal and avian and cetacean and reptile and fish, some born and some made, some predators and some prey. It's not unheard of for therian to eat humans, and therian aren't the only man-eaters out there in the dark. They can think and react in ways that appear human, but make no mistake, they are animals who happen to turn into people. Some are very intelligent, and some are very educated, but none think like a human... or if they did, they don't, anymore.

Over here we just call it shortbread, because to me it’s like saying cookie cookies 🍪 they look delicious though, I do not have a baking bone in my body.