• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A poll on the pronunciation of a character's name

Which sounds best?

• Gee-las

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Guy-las

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jiy-las

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Gil-las

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Laurence

Inkling
Geelas is the least controversial to me but even then the G could be hard or soft! I kinda like letting people decide for themselves how to pronounce names though. Adds an element of personalisation.

What do you mean by controversial?

I'm the type who has a pronunciation guide at the start of every one of my books, but that's just me.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I thought Gillas was the least controversial, and by controversial I mean the least likely to be confusing as far as pronunciation.

I know for. myself, and this is totally personal opinion, but it doesn't matter what the author puts at the front or back of the book, I will pronounce the names however they seem right to me. I won't spend a bunch of time looking for a pronunciation page.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I read it as two syllables Gill-Ass
Gill [as a part of a Fish] and Ass [as in another name for a Donkey]

Now that makes it sound absurd. :banghead:
I'm sorry.

It is an actual name, if it makes anyone feel any better. Irish Gaelic, according to my name dictionary.

crowgirl

Acolyte
If you're wanting it to reflect actual Irish Gaelic, the correct pronunciation would actually be Gil-uhs, with stress on the first syllable. (I'm learning Irish, but am no expert). Of course, since you're writing fantasy, you can make it sound however you wish in your world. :)

Orior

Acolyte
Please, write the name you were thinking about, the way you would write it in the story. I think many people will pronounce it differently, and you can change the way you wite it by seeing what are the answers you get.
Great names, though!
Orior