• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Poll: Your point of view

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
robertbevan said:
are you saying you use first person and third person in the same work? i'm not sure i've ever seen that done before.

It's been done often. It's just not easy to do it well.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
are you saying you use first person and third person in the same work? i'm not sure i've ever seen that done before.

Yeah, I've read a few that do that. I didn't have a problem with it. I read one a while back with multiple first-person POVs and one character in second-person POV.

This has been discussed on several threads. There are any number of books with multiple POV, including multiple 1st person and blended 1st/3rd person. Indeed, both my published books are blended POV. It's not that hard.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I've done the 1st/3rd thing.

MC in 1st-present; other POVs in 3rd-past. Purpose of other POVs is to give insight on what the MC didn't see. Readers said the story flowed well, and didn't notice the change in tense until I pointed it out (usually with the question, "Can I really do that?"). Shakespeare was one of the authors mentioned by someone telling me the 1st/3rd thing has been done before.

My favourite to read has to be 1st person, for the comedy of it but if it's a book that has a lot more hand-to-hand fighting then I prefer 3rd person because it seems to be the easiest wat to describe fights, especialy wars or large-scale fights. Everyone has their own prefrences so... :D