• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can we please retire the Katana...

Saigonnus

Auror
I am playing with an idea about a one-handed dwarvish gunsmith... Not really making progress though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeverinR

Vala
I am playing with an idea about a one-handed dwarvish gunsmith... Not really making progress though.
one handed gunsmith? No wonder you're not making any progress. Have to use the clamp to hold the gun for every action.

I think fantasy can include black powder, but once you get into reliable auto-loading firearms it pretty much ends the need for up close and personal fighting.

I think if you use a weapon in a story, look it up, review its strengths and weaknesses. Don't just go with the traditional popular sword. Maybe even commit to identifying the exact sword or weapon, instead of a generic sword name.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/cf/d7/51/cfd7514abe0524bc1825b021b2f412b6.jpg

http://www.thearma.org/SwordTree.jpg

Personally, I think pikes and axes were better against armor and cheaper to obtain.
Spear Axe - Bing Images

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
But, but, but... the katana is the only sword I trained with...!

That said, I'm focusing on woman warriors for main characters, and the naginata might work better for my "fighting nun."

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
She has a smaller, more Eastern friend named Kojima Hanako (meaning: "small island flower child" / surname before given name). Hanako's father was a samurai and her mother was a "Wire Fu" master like that lady in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. She was originally meant to have a bokken or katana, but I think the naginata works better.

Baldhart would wield something stupidly heavy, or a broadsword if I stop drawing oversized weapons. I recently discovered some great amazon art, which inspired me to focus on character in part by keeping weapons small and minimally designed.

Reactions: Tom

Saigonnus

Auror
one handed gunsmith? No wonder you're not making any progress. Have to use the clamp to hold the gun for every action.

The loss of his hand was during the events that caused him to align with the much abused orcs against the humans he'd always aligned himself with (more out of fear than anything)

The orcs have craftsmen, but no knowledge about gunpowder weapons. They offered to restore his hand if he would help them overcome centuries of oppression.

To get this back on topic a bit, i agree that katanas should be used sparingly, and only in cultures or stories with a vaguely asian flavor. Same with long swords for europeans or axes/hammers for dwarves.

There are so many weapons in world history that one need not fall into the basic stereotypes. Bladed-spears are cool for an alternative... They are sword, staff and spear rolled into one! I recall a were-tiger character that used one and had martial arts... Definitely formidable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mythopoet

Auror
What?? Um... no! Katanas are awesome. You can pry them from my cold dead hands.

Isn't the generic fantasy long sword as tired as the katana? It's the standard issue weapon in the arsenal of fantasy. Only the great warriors have a bastard or two handed sword. I guess in LOTR they have short swords, because they were short people.

Seriously, as far as fantasy cliches go, it's definitely the long sword that pervades epic fantasy.

The katana is a cool weapon given the right circumstance but for my money I'd go with the naginata.

Yes, Naginata are so freaking cool.

On the mention of the naginata, I'd love to see more pole and spear-type weapons in fantasy. They were more common than swords at many points (and places) in history, there's a ton of variety in their design, they're cheaper, women were often more capable of using them (good if you're writing about a female warrior), and they're just pretty cool.

Yes! I always liked pole arms and spear weapons, but after watching a certain anime with a certain character who is just GODLY with his spear...

Hak_zpsi71fgxel.jpg

I have a whole new appreciation for them. :redface:

Tom

Istar
I concede that katanas are very stylish, as are all these lovely people.

But Viking warrior women are too awesome for style!

tumblr_mpxv7kvvW41sazby5o2_r1_500.jpg

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Outlaw Star. Click the picture. I forgot to mention it's a link to the episode, just before Twilight Suzuka (pic'd) chases Gene Starwind (MC) into traffic and is about to get hit by a truck but draws her bokken and…

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
The thing about the katana is its unique fighting style. When you train with a katana, the first basic technique is to draw and cut horizontally (aiming for the throat or the eyes). The scabbard is used to add power to the technique. The second strike in this "combination" is an overhead strike. The curve of the blade is aimed at the top of the opponent's head; the left hand controls the blade so that it's pulled back during the vertical cut. The ideal strike would halve your opponent.

After that, you flick the blood off your sword, then sheathe it quickly. You do that by holding the end of the scabbard in your left hand. You let the unsharpened edge fall onto your hand between index and thumb, then bring the sword back a bit until your skin no longer feels the weapon. Then you thrust it into the scabbard.

The katana is to the east as the handgun is to the west. (See A Fistful of Dollars and Yojimbo. Clint Eastwood is playing the gunfighter version of Toshiro Mifune's ronin.) Cliched? Maybe it seems so, but it's because at one point in history, that was the ultimate weapon. People devoted their lives to being great with such a weapon, whether using it for war or for deadly contests.

I can't get behind you on the "don't write katanas" because that's the only melee weapon I'm trained in. I know how you can sheathe the blade without hurting yourself, and I know WHY the quickdraw attacks are effective and WHY the weapon is normally held in both hands. I know the weight of the blade and the reason why a WHOOSH sound is not a good thing--the perfect swing is silent.

To say katanas are cliched; don't write them... that's like saying elves are cliched; don't write them. I won't write elves--not because I have something against them, but because I think humans are interesting and varied enough and elves are just pointy-eared humans (visually). Maybe that's the katana for you. It's just another sword and it doesn't make sense to use it when you can use a broadsword, long sword, bastard sword, claymore, etc.

Having said all that, I appreciate this discussion. It did make me consider alternatives for my "fighting nun" from the east. (Leaning towards naginata.) But my samurai will still have his katana.