• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can we please retire the Katana...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I also see the katana as stylish. It's sleek, especially around the handle, and the jagged line down the blade gives it texture. You don't see that in most other swords. I also think single-edged in general are a lot cooler and feel more distinct.

But if we're being realistic - not that we always have to be - there's a reason that the east and the west developed the weapons that they did. Slashing swords are harder to pull off in a tight infantry formation, and they're less effective against armored enemies or shields. I also think it's strange to describe the longsword as European - there's not a significant difference between it and the Chinese jian. And then there's the tech behind it. A lot of swords that might have looked cool disappeared because they weren't very good.

Which brings me back to the katana: It was used late. It's "civilized" or closer to modern in that sense.

In short, the western equivalent of the katana is not the longsword. It's this:

latest

Now that is a beautiful sword I would like to see more of.

I'm kind of amused that Mindfire is now the one "stuck on social injustice." Our resident social justice poster loved to needle him and pick fights with him, to the point of ignoring everyone else who asked her questions. (She flounced in a huff because not enough people were paying attention to her.)

The way I'd say it is that people want more of themselves. Mindfire's black and Christian, and he posts stuff about his stories about black Christians. I'm queer and Utilitarian, so I post about my stories about queer Utilitarians. I haven't seen much of you yet, but I'm sure you have your own ideas you want to discuss in your fiction.

Not everything has to be about race, gender, or what have you. If people want to write to an audience that they think is undervalued or underrepresented then more power to them. I just get annoyed when people try and find that which isn't there.

There's plenty of people from all different backgrounds that can provide a wealth of diverse material, however the motivation doesn't need to be based on some political/social matter.

I mean take the Katana for example. My reason for creating this thread had nothing remotely to do with the Katana as a Japanese cultural symbol and thus making a critical judgement of the Japanese, it's just about how the Katana shows up in all sorts of popular culture for the "coolness" factor so often that it has become ridiculous.

I could just as easily start an identical thread and change the topic to trench-coats.

Tom

Istar
In short, the western equivalent of the katana is not the longsword. It's this:

latest

Now that is a beautiful sword I would like to see more of.

Sabers are so elegant. I happen to own an early 20th century Indian cavalry saber. Though I can't fight with it, it's still a beautiful, deadly weapon.

I can, however, fight with its close cousin, the fencing saber. It's got some serious class of its own. Some of the cleanest, most ridiculously stylish fencing I've seen was with sabers.

6b1c2b7d-fa88-415d-96cc-ca097112076f.jpg

Mindfire

Istar
I'm kind of amused that Mindfire is now the one "stuck on social injustice." Our resident social justice poster loved to needle him and pick fights with him, to the point of ignoring everyone else who asked her questions. (She flounced in a huff because not enough people were paying attention to her.)

The way I'd say it is that people want more of themselves. Mindfire's black and Christian, and he posts stuff about his stories about black Christians. I'm queer and Utilitarian, so I post about my stories about queer Utilitarians. I haven't seen much of you yet, but I'm sure you have your own ideas you want to discuss in your fiction.
An oversimplification, but not wholly inaccurate.

Mindfire

Istar
I also think it's strange to describe the longsword as European - there's not a significant difference between it and the Chinese jian.

I'd say there are many significant differences between a Jian and a longsword. The jian's closest western equivalent is probably the rapier.

Russ

Istar
From my admittedly practical perspective I think we should stop writing stories involving katanas when there is no longer an audience for people wanting to read stories involving katanas.