• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

cliches and stereotypes

Helen

Inkling
But surely we're straying from the definition of 'mentor', then. I mean, a young child in a story could be the one who teaches the hero an important moral lesson, or even turns their whole outlook around and so on... but I wouldn't classify that role as a 'mentor' at all.

She certainly doesn't look like a mentor.

But the more you analyze her role and her influence on the change, the more she starts to look like one. She's more than just the romantic interest.

But my general point is that it's not what the character looks like but what they do that defines their archetype.

Queshire

Istar
I feel that I must disagree. When it comes to fiction I feel that an archetype, a trope really, is a frequently recurring image in mass media which can safely be presumed that the consumer is familiar with. The function of it is one part of the archetype but it's not the only point. One character can teach another, but I don't think that's enough to qualify as a mentor.

Helen

Inkling
I feel that I must disagree. When it comes to fiction I feel that an archetype, a trope really, is a frequently recurring image in mass media which can safely be presumed that the consumer is familiar with. The function of it is one part of the archetype but it's not the only point. One character can teach another, but I don't think that's enough to qualify as a mentor.

I don't think Morpheus is a mentor because he fits an image; he's a mentor because he helps Neo change, he helps him believe, he takes him over to the other side.

There's definitely an image association and when the image and role match it's easy to identify. But when the image doesn't match, doesn't mean the role has changed.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
From the wikipedia page on mentorship Mentorship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mentorship is a personal developmental relationship in which a more experienced or more knowledgeable person helps to guide a less experienced or less knowledgeable person. The mentor may be older or younger, but have a certain area of expertise. It is a learning and development partnership between someone with vast experience and someone who wants to learn.

"Mentoring" is a process that always involves communication and is relationship based, but its precise definition is elusive.

I have respected writing books that have very broad definitions of what a mentor is.

In one book, 45 Master Characters, it states the following.

- The Mentor freely offers advice and wants to be involved in the hero's problems

There are negative mentors. Eg Gordon Gecko in Wallstree.

There are positive mentors. Eg Morpheus.

Other examples.

- The old highschool teacher the hero tracks down to ask advice

- Someone accomplished in the hero's line of work who takes them under his wing

- The expert on whatever information the hero needs, as long as he's excited to share the information and help.

Pondering this... one could make an argument that in the film Leon, Natalie Portman is the mentor to the main character.