• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

BearBear

Archmage
Well, naturally. But more importantly, what is the true role of a god archetype in a postmodern society?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I fear that is a loaded question. If I stack the deck and say postmodernism is true, and then look at things through its frame, I would necessarily reduce things religious to opinion. But postmodernism itself may be false, and those who live in societies that have many claimants to postmodernism may not agree with their fellows on that. So the value of a god like figure still matters to those who don't subscribe, and matters to those who do because their societies are made of a fabric of the whole and not a part. But in spite of Postmodernist thought, it may still be true there is a God, and that God may represent truth. and may desire its will, and in which case, God will prevail in spite of current philosophical thinking.

But your question cannot be challenged because you have asked it in a way the precludes other possibilities. It is self defining the role to one of only relative to a post-modernists whims. I suppose if the society of Post Modernists all arrived at the opinion that it was relevant, than it would be. Or, if leads them to believe something untrue, it may come back to bite them in other ways.

Irrelevant to the thread though, cause I won, both objectively and not.

BearBear

Archmage
But aside from that, what is the true roll of the god archetype in a science based (materialist) society?

If you just say "society in general" then there are necessarily obvious, uninteresting answers.

Furthermore, if I believe we all have god potential as ascending mortals with immortal "souls", why do I need to worship a "god"? Why is a doctrinal approach correct, and dogmatically so? I can be inspired and aspire to be more like god without the need to do god's will or especially to follow god's supposed deciples, no?

Disclaimer: I'm being respectful of any beliefs here, but I am specifically asking for the sake of seeking wisdom into the mindset of an athiestic or non-worshiping groups as it would pertain to the god archetype and it's relevance or need.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I would think the answers to these questions would be obvious, but again, you are stacking the question.

If you believe something, and we accept that as true, you invite the conclusion you are looking for. Maybe you can do all of these things (be inspired and be more like god, and be a hundred other things). Whether you choose to do that with or without God is kind of between you and the deity. If God, or a god, exists and wants something from you, it is your choice to give it or not. You get to answer those questions.

Since you and I may share in a community together, we may or may not want a certain standard, but that would have more to do with group dynamics than personal.

I dont understand the rest. If you want to investigate an atheistic experience, what about that do you have questions about? Many cultures have strong religious roots, and also have atheists, are you not finding any examples to draw from? Why do you say god 'Archetype'? Are you trying to mean this in a Jungian way? or as something else, like as may appear in fantasy and myth, as living beings in the sky?

BearBear

Archmage
The god archetype is a way of staying non-specific to any religion. Like in modern literature they often speak of "a higher power" instead of saying "God".

In fantasy, atheism is easier to portray for me because the alternative is assumed to exist or not and left up to the reader. There are plenty of examples of fantasy that doesn't mention a functional scene including any mention of a higher power even when they state a specific religion.

As a switch, I'd like a character that specifically has a god archetype in their belief system and draws strength from it. My question would be something like, what benefits that might have or detriments if that character was in an otherwise athiest/postmodern society, thereby gaining nothing from community with fellows on their peer group.

There's a anime called "Saga of Tanya the Evil" where dispite her loathing to worship an unjust god, she has to in order to gain the "magic" power.

I then want to have a normie character so magic isn't on the table, so what can she otherwise gain from worshipping? If there's no community support.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...

First is the big 'IF'. If the God is real, quite a lot. Divine intervention could be on her side.

Since I doubt you want that, I would say there is still a lot of benefit. Such as internal strength, less fear of the unknown, more willingness to sacrifice for a larger purpose. She would probably have much to say about the things atheism lacks, and that would possibly lead to a following.

For detriments, well, she might not be very fun at parties...

If she was truly alone, I think she would believe to maintain her own sanity, and somewhere along the way shrug like atlas and leave them.

I would have to ask how she came about having faith, if there was none in her society to clue her in.

Last edited:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If by grand prize you mean sit in the front row and watch the dragon claim an award. Then yes, you can win that ;)

Aleshe

Troubadour
This reminds me of something... but I forget. Oh, and she can use a god archetype by integrating those attributes into her own personality. She'll be above everything like, nothing could phase her emotionally maybe? Also, I thought the winnings were a sharp pair of slacks. A dragon in slacks is just silly, but they fit me perfectly.

Aleshe

Troubadour
My magic pants! Thanks for holding them for me. The next person who posts wants in my pants, but not how you think.

Hey, I know about the snowflake method, but are there other methods to write a book that you know of or use?