• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Joseph Malik: Film Option

Malik

Auror
Ahem. (Grabs megaphone.) Is this thing on?

Visual Effects Producer Jamie Stevenson (“Prey,” “Exodus Gods & Kings,” “The Wolverine”) has purchased a two-year film option for bestselling fantasy author Joseph Malik’s forthcoming science-fiction/fantasy crossover novel Stonelands. Pitched asStargate” meets “Black Hawk Down,” with an emphasis on intersectionality issues in modern-day Special Operations Forces, Stonelands underwent a nearly year-long declassification and security review due to its extensive military detail and Malik’s career in Intelligence and Special Operations. The U.S. Department of Defense has offered to consult on the project. Sarah Hershman of Hershman Rights Management brokered the deal.

Stevenson is currently the Visual Effects Producer for “Mayday” (2024), starring Ryan Reynolds and Kenneth Branagh and directed by “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” filmmakers Jonathan Goldstein and Jon Francis Daley.

Stonelands takes place in the same universe as Malik’s debut novel, Dragon’s Trail, which sold over 10,000 copies in 18 months and became a Kindle #1 bestseller in Epic Fantasy in the U.S., Australia, and Canada, as well as becoming a Barnes & Noble Nook bestseller. Malik is a full member of SFWA and was eligible for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in Science Fiction and Fantasy in 2017 and 2018.

Last edited:

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Congrats man! I look forward to the film and abusing my connection, albeit tiny, to you, heh heh heh.

But seriously, super cool!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
H'Wood is a brutal game, but every step inside the gates is useful.

25 years ago, I had my foot in the door... unfortunately, it was hydraulic. :D
The odds are probably one in a thousand, but that's down considerably from one in a billion, which is where it was this morning.

Malik

Auror
H'Wood is a brutal game, but every step inside the gates is useful.

25 years ago, I had my foot in the door... unfortunately, it was hydraulic. :D
Did my time in the plastic asshole of the world, as well, and I'm just fine out here in the dark of the woods. I will write the books and cash the checks, please and thank you. Being involved with Hollywood is like dating a stripper. Everyone oohs and aahs, but if you make it your thing, it just makes your soul all sticky.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
The woods are the place to be. A cave with a plug to charge my laptop and auto-deposit. My wife wants to sell out and drive around the country in an RV until we find the right woods... or just keep driving.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Did my time in the plastic asshole of the world, as well, and I'm just fine out here in the dark of the woods. I will write the books and cash the checks, please and thank you. Being involved with Hollywood is like dating a stripper. Everyone oohs and aahs, but if you make it your thing, it just makes your soul all sticky.
Gods I'm jealous. Give me the woodlands and checks please. I can be a hermit better than most.

Malik

Auror
Gods I'm jealous. Give me the woodlands and checks please. I can be a hermit better than most.
It is nice. We've been homesteading out here for a while, now. The house is a converted barn on a dead-end road in the woods; some neighbors believe it's haunted. We produce most of our own food. The sunsets are amazing. Coyotes howl at the moon some nights. There's a lot to like.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I grew up in the woods - pretty much the literal edge of civilization, right at the end of the road grid. A lot of fun, but also a lot of work.

These days, I dwell at the edge of the woods...and civilization is within bicycle distance. When it thaws out, I'll have to deal with the tree that fell across the yard. That should keep me away from the keyboard for a while.

Malik

Auror
A haunted barn? That's story material right there. Oh the house is fine, it's the _barn_ that's haunted. Cows go boo instead of moo.
It was a barn; it's now our house.

Legend has it a woman hanged herself here during WWII, after hearing that her boyfriend had been killed in combat. I guess this barn was where they used to come and canoodle. The first time I came out of the ready room/guest room in my dress uniform, our wedding picture fell off the wall at the end of the hallway. It's probably coincidence, right? The house creaks like footsteps at night, doors slam, dogs bark and growl at the walls. But it's a drafty old house, old-growth timber, balloon framing, probably has mice. I'm sure it's fine. What could happen?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1623549209290.jpg
    FB_IMG_1623549209290.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 5
  • received_4218760321508174.jpeg
    received_4218760321508174.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
It could inspire your venture into horror novels.

Sweet place. My outside of the city is getting overrun by the city/burbs and might get annexed, though we own enough ground for our oasis. The traffic, however... Yikes. With Google and Amazon invading, they're bringing more companies and making us wonder about other places. We looked at a place in MO once where pretty much every neighbor had a gun range... that woulda felt like home, but the house was a tad scary even without ghosts.

Legend has it a woman hanged herself here during WWII, after hearing that her boyfriend had been killed in combat. I guess this barn was where they used to come and canoodle. The first time I came out of the ready room/guest room in my dress uniform, our wedding picture fell off the wall at the end of the hallway. It's probably coincidence, right? The house creaks like footsteps at night, doors slam, dogs bark and growl at the walls. But it's a drafty old house, old-growth timber, balloon framing, probably has mice. I'm sure it's fine. What could happen?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We're in Missouri! SW MO, to be exact, in the foothills of the Ozarks right in the middle of the deciduous forest. In other words, need any rocks? :D

This is our little patch of heaven. We're completely surrounded by redbuds and hickory, with some oaks and walnuts thrown in for funsies. In the spring it looks like a Japanese garden. Cedar's invasive here, so I don't let it take root in my gardens. We're also right next door to my in-laws' so the property is pretty big as far as lots here go. Mostly fishing cabins and summer people, but some full-timer's like us, too.

1706983419599.jpeg
1706983776364.jpeg

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership

My parents had a renovated barn as their last house. It was awesome. The ceilings were amazing, and the space was so flexible to decorate. <3

As to hauntings... ghosts pay rent, right? :D