• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Joseph Malik: Film Option

Malik

Auror
That's nice! Love the stone look. Local stone? We have dirt, which is great for putting in fence posts, but boulders cost a fortune in these parts.
It was a weird deal. We wanted black basalt 2- & 3-man stone, but the guy called an audible last minute because he could get granite boulders for half the cost. I love the way it looks.

5' is the average height of the wall; it runs from 4 to just over 6', since the garden slopes up to the front yard.

WTF happened since I was asleep! 😂

You would indeed need a deer proof fence all around your edible crops to keep them at bay. I don’t have that much pressure on my plot because there is hedging all around keeping them out, blackthorn etc. - for the most part anyway. No, I have more problems with the smaller pests that even my radishes don’t survive unless I net them, the dreaded flea beetle. The pigeons are also thugs and will be curious about young onions / garlic so protecting them at first is best if I want a chance at a crop.

I’m a vegetarian, but I will actually entertain eating locally shot venison.

Ok it seems that I can now directly upload images:

IMG_5326.jpeg
IMG_4577.jpeg
I affectionately call the yellow summer crookneck squash ‘nobbly bobbly’s’ and they taste amazing. I employ a no dig / no till system on my plot because I don’t have the time or patience for constant weeding all season long!

IMG_4266.jpeg
My £100 polytunnel! Plus it has survived the winter storms… so far. We’ll see about the spring storms.

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We have the usual suspects for this area. Racoons, foxes, possums, (My oldest cat, a red point Siamese, has a vixen for a girlfriend and a huge possum that lives under the house as a buddy) armadillos have come into the area from Texas and points south, rabbits, hares, skunks (no skunk doggies, yet!), and the various and sundry squirrels and birds and chipmunks my in laws' bait- I mean, feed, so our kittehs may be entertained. We also have coyotes - no cats outside during the last bit of February and first of March - cougar, wolf, and bears, though most of those say away from the people smell, the coyotes are cunning little beggers.

Malik

Auror
Lord Defender of the Hearth handed a coyote his ass a few weeks back. Haven't seen or heard a coyote on this hill since.
He's an 85-lb.Olde English Bulldogge--basically two bags of cement with a jet engine on the back. He ran right at the coyote and body-checked it like that meme with the school bus and the train, and then beat the crap out of it. It finally got up and took off--it's been a month and it's probably still running. It did bite off part of his toe, but I assured him chicks dig scars. A few stitches. He's fine. Such a Good Boy.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
My neighbor picked up a couple of Great Pyrenees for coyotes. The packs are what concern me with our dogs. One tends to forget he's too old for running away if the fight goes south, heh heh. We had an ex-police sniper who used to keep the valley's coyote count in check, but he's had health problems.

The DNR told us we don't have cougars for years, but they lied and knew they lied. A friend was turkey hunting and called in a cougar one day and the sniper caught them on video by his house, but still, they aren't here. No bears yet! The turkey population, and we had none when I was a kid, has exploded, which in turn has knocked off most all of the pheasant and quail. I used to walk the creeks and scare them up all the time, but now I've think seen one pheasant in the last 20 years. I'll hear quail now and again, but nothing like the good ol' days.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
We have the usual suspects for this area. Racoons, foxes, possums, (My oldest cat, a red point Siamese, has a vixen for a girlfriend and a huge possum that lives under the house as a buddy) armadillos have come into the area from Texas and points south, rabbits, hares, skunks (no skunk doggies, yet!), and the various and sundry squirrels and birds and chipmunks my in laws' bait- I mean, feed, so our kittehs may be entertained. We also have coyotes - no cats outside during the last bit of February and first of March - cougar, wolf, and bears, though most of those say away from the people smell, the coyotes are cunning little beggers.
Bear, moose, porcupine, lynx, fox, caribou, rabbit, and assorted rodents are about it for wild four-footed critters around here. Notable winged varieties include eagles and spruce chickens. Given the chance, the local dogs will form themselves into packs that take down moose and get shot full of quills by porcupines.