• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2023 Wordcounts

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I type faster than I think, that's for sure. I always say I type like a writer, poking around wild and willy-nilly because I'm typing from my brain, and am free to stare at the keys. In a typing class once... Yes, I learned how to type correctly, BUT since they didn't watch that close, for the test I looked back and forth from the text we were copying and dusted my "correct" typing method speed, heh heh.

I used to be able to pound a typewriter, but I fear if put on one now, I'd bruise my spoiled, wimpified fingers. Not to mention all the white-out incidents to numerous to mention.

EDIT: Thanks! Now I'm having flashbacks of writing by hand and then trying to type and read my handwriting—a bit like a T-Rex with a crayon—and I may have to book a therapist or consult a mobster.

I'm some sort of bizarre combination where I type at blinding speed, but I write extremely slowly. I tend to go through 4 or 5 versions in my head before it hits the page. I also type like a jackhammer. So, when I'm writing it looks a lot like me thinking for minutes at a time, fingertips on the keys, and then explosive, extremely loud, typing, followed by more silence and thinking. I rarely look at the keyboard anymore, but I also learned to type on a manual typewriter, back when we double spaced between sentences and a typo meant starting the bloody page over again. I don't miss that, and they can pry my ergonomic keyboard from my dead, cold, hands even as I rage against that last goodnight. ;)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I type faster than I think, that's for sure. I always say I type like a writer, poking around wild and willy-nilly because I'm typing from my brain, and am free to stare at the keys. In a typing class once... Yes, I learned how to type correctly, BUT since they didn't watch that close, for the test I looked back and forth from the text we were copying and dusted my "correct" typing method speed, heh heh.

I used to be able to pound a typewriter, but I fear if put on one now, I'd bruise my spoiled, wimpified fingers. Not to mention all the white-out incidents to numerous to mention.

EDIT: Thanks! Now I'm having flashbacks of writing by hand and then trying to type and read my handwriting—a bit like a T-Rex with a crayon—and I may have to book a therapist or consult a mobster.
I'd go with the mobster. They're cheaper. ;)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Slow agony. Headache, Formatting issues. Can't hardly see the screen. (A week before the eye doctor can see me.)

But I made a monster file of the first 19 chapters - 49942. Then I did 870 words of chapter 20. Still more to go, but I added it to the tally. NaNo is won. 50810.
You are a braver soul than I. I draft every chapter in its own file, and then my wife takes the whole project away and she does the compiling. She's actually good at it, unlike me who can get so frustrated that both Word and Microsoft itself become the targets of... my savage sarcasm. I'm a bit old for firebombing, these days. ;)

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I have a massive 150k word mess in Scrivener that I need to sort out and date with Aeon Timeline so I can get the chapters in order. I've never been this chaotic before and I hope won't be again. Normally I write by chapters and kind of flip back forth between characters as they go, but this time! I wrote some 20k in one POV batches that are proving interesting to make play nice with others.
You are a braver soul than I. I draft every chapter in its own file, and then my wife takes the whole project away and she does the compiling. She's actually good at it, unlike me who can get so frustrated that both Word and Microsoft itself become the targets of... my savage sarcasm. I'm a bit old for firebombing, these days. ;)

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Single word file for all of the prose. Single word file for all of the worldbuilding details to keep in mind.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I have a massive 150k word mess in Scrivener that I need to sort out and date with Aeon Timeline so I can get the chapters in order. I've never been this chaotic before and I hope won't be again. Normally I write by chapters and kind of flip back forth between characters as they go, but this time! I wrote some 20k in one POV batches that are proving interesting to make play nice with others.
Curiously, I've been pretty chaotic lately, too, which is really weird. I write linearly, so much so that I can't go forward if I don't know where I'm going, and I am a hardcore outline user. I don't write them, that's my wife. My job is just to write what she tells me to and then to dress it up and take it dancing. ;) But now I've got a 20 page chapter, big for me, that meanders all over the bloody map and needs to have a chainsaw taken to it. I don't normally do that, because all the work gets done at the front end. But here we are, liberally applying the Cut and Paste options and making the chapter lean and mean again. :D

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
finished the Curtis chapter, posted a new tally - 51235. Started on chapter 21 - Bao. Three chapters and the epilogue to go after this.

I find myself strongly considering merging 'Seed' and 'Defender' into a single book - 'Labyrinth: War.' It would be a monster - well over five hundred pages, but 'Defender' really is a continuation of 'Seed.' 'Journal' would then become a sort of prequel.

I am also contemplating the single monster tome route for 'Exiles.' That one would be even bigger probably topping 600 pages, but again, it is all one story.

Single word file for all of the prose
My brain processed that as 1 word per file instead of a single Word file. And I had an image of Ban having 75.000 files for his novel, together with an index list of the order in which the files had to go. Though of course you could optimise that and remove duplicates. So all "the" could point to a single file...

I tempt fate as well and write everything in a single Word file (and go up to 80k words without trouble). It does get saved in 3 locations though, one of which is off-site and keeps version history, so there's that.

Congrats ThinkerX for winning Nano!

Total word count, including the words ‘chapter’ here and there along with a few small notes is 45,088.

Progress has been hampered by an unwell toddler these past few days, and today is the last day. Maybe I can scribble down 5000 or so more words to make up the nano word count, but I’m not going to put any pressure on it.

Including my proper notes and worldbuilding files the word count probably tallies to something more like 100K, maybe more.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I got to over 47k and now?! Chills and body aches the last 2 nights and just flat-out brain dead. Managed like 750 yesterday. Catch a wind, i can hit 50k pretty easy. No wind? Eaten by the Nano monster!

It's been fun; kind of taps into the gamer-grinding side of me.

Sitting and staring at a wall is all I can manage this morning.

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I got to over 47k and now?! Chills and body aches the last 2 nights and just flat-out brain dead. Managed like 750 yesterday. Catch a wind, i can hit 50k pretty easy. No wind? Eaten by the Nano monster!

If you do happen to get going again, my hat's off to you. If not, it's still off considering all of my hats are not presently on my head.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver

sounds like the NaNo monster is having quite the feast. Yes, I won, but my vision is still messed up, and it will be next week before I can see the eye doctor.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We shall not speak of my wordcount, but look at you guys! Good year for NaNo. Just fantastic! <3