• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are your religious views?

Take it as the complement that it was meant to be. I strongly suspect she liked you and probably deep down in her heart was saddened by the choice you've made to turn away from what she believes leads to a positive outcome when life ends.
Free will is like that.

As someone who was raised in the bible belt I can tell you that that was defiantly a compliment. I do not want to offend anyone here... but... sometimes they do not understand how the words that come out of their mouths will be taken (or they do and do not care). For the most part they are good people, just a little close minded when it comes to religion.

JustSpiffy

Minstrel
Take it as the complement that it was meant to be. I strongly suspect she liked you and probably deep down in her heart was saddened by the choice you've made to turn away from what she believes leads to a positive outcome when life ends.
Free will is like that.

I actually converted her into an agnostic by the time she left; she was one of those cultural Christians, Christian just because everyone around her was, and she had never questioned it. I think she was a little surprised that I wasn't some immoral, evil person who ate babies for breakfast too. xD

TWErvin2

Auror
I actually converted her into an agnostic by the time she left; she was one of those cultural Christians, Christian just because everyone around her was, and she had never questioned it. I think she was a little surprised that I wasn't some immoral, evil person who ate babies for breakfast too. xD

Which is not necessarily a good thing as encouraging her along a path away from faith, even if it wasn't yet strong--where might that leave the status of her soul upon the end of her earthly life? Of course, questioning is nothing new to Christianity, and I strongly suspect that upon return to her home her questions will be answered. If not, it's all about free will.

I'm athiest, and I go to a Christian Scientist school. Only because it's a really good school, and they accept all beliefs.

A note on Christian Science - it's basically a 'modern' approach to the bible and stuff (I use quotations because the book on Christian Science was written in the 30s or something). They attempt to explain that most scientific principles were already in the Bible. I still don't believe what they say though.

Kaellpae

Inkling
I was raised Christian, but it never really stuck. I keep an open mind to all religions, yet I choose not to participate in any of it. I'd rather not be classified as anything, just human, hearing agnostic or atheist makes it seem like I have an opinion on other people's views. If I choose not to be classified by me, then I feel I can be a lot more accepting to those around me.

JustSpiffy

Minstrel
Which is not necessarily a good thing as encouraging her along a path away from faith, even if it wasn't yet strong--where might that leave the status of her soul upon the end of her earthly life? Of course, questioning is nothing new to Christianity, and I strongly suspect that upon return to her home her questions will be answered. If not, it's all about free will.

It's a good thing for me, considering that I don't believe in Christianity. It may be a bad thing for people who do. I didn't exactly encourage her though, my Mum and me were just having a conversation about religion, politics and a number of other things, like we usually do, and she just joined in.

But yeah, I don't believe she has a soul, so that should answer that for you. Also, I was in touch with her a year or so after she went back to America, she stayed an agnostic at least for that period of time. And you can probably accept that there's some answers that Christianity can never offer it's believers, because the majority of it is about accepting it on faith.

JustSpiffy

Minstrel
I was raised Christian, but it never really stuck. I keep an open mind to all religions, yet I choose not to participate in any of it. I'd rather not be classified as anything, just human, hearing agnostic or atheist makes it seem like I have an opinion on other people's views. If I choose not to be classified by me, then I feel I can be a lot more accepting to those around me.

Technically speaking you'd fall under the catorgory of weak atheist. Meaning you don't hold a belief either way. I'm in the same catorgory but I have strong opinions about religion.

JustSpiffy

Minstrel
I'm athiest, and I go to a Christian Scientist school. Only because it's a really good school, and they accept all beliefs.

A note on Christian Science - it's basically a 'modern' approach to the bible and stuff (I use quotations because the book on Christian Science was written in the 30s or something). They attempt to explain that most scientific principles were already in the Bible. I still don't believe what they say though.

Yeah, I've heard a few of those claims, not only from Christians but from Muslims too. All of them are clearly just mental gymnastics by believers. Having faith in something usually means you start with the asumption, "My beliefs are true", so anything that goes against it must be automatically wrong, and anything that goes for it is often accepted with very little if any critical thinking.

I think that's one of the dangers of faith, luckily we have the development of secular society to temper some of the more extreme effects this has, otherwise people would continue to justify some rather terrible things because, "I have faith that it's true!"... We do still grow under the influence of faith, it's just that growth is stunted very severely.

Kaellpae

Inkling
Technically speaking you'd fall under the catorgory of weak atheist. Meaning you don't hold a belief either way. I'm in the same catorgory but I have strong opinions about religion.

Since I was raised Christian, at least I'd know the signs before I went to hell. I'd be more than happy to just cease to exist after death.

TWErvin2

Auror
Yeah, I've heard a few of those claims, not only from Christians but from Muslims too. All of them are clearly just mental gymnastics by believers. Having faith in something usually means you start with the asumption, "My beliefs are true", so anything that goes against it must be automatically wrong, and anything that goes for it is often accepted with very little if any critical thinking.

I think that's one of the dangers of faith, luckily we have the development of secular society to temper some of the more extreme effects this has, otherwise people would continue to justify some rather terrible things because, "I have faith that it's true!"... We do still grow under the influence of faith, it's just that growth is stunted very severely.

Could you clarify what you mean by those of faith being very serverely stunted in their growth? And what mental gymnastics would you be talking about specifically?

TWErvin2 said:
Could you clarify what you mean by those of faith being very serverely stunted in their growth? And what mental gymnastics would you be talking about specifically?

This is what I was afraid of. There have been some great discoveries by men and women of religious beliefs, and the same for those without. It is not religion that makes people stunted, it is,among others, the rejection of critical thinking that stunts. Atheist conspiracy theorists are just as bad as young-earth creationists in this regard.

Ravana

Istar
I am the Duly Elected Messiah of the Church of the Carnivorous Eggplant. (Seriously. I really am. Don't ask.) In keeping with my personal views of non-proselytizing, however, I decline to say whether or not the CotCE's views represent my own… or vice versa. I'm pretty sure my job description said they were optional.…

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
There have been some great discoveries by men and women of religious beliefs, and the same for those without. It is not religion that makes people stunted, it is,among others, the rejection of critical thinking that stunts. Atheist conspiracy theorists are just as bad as young-earth creationists in this regard.

Well said.

Some great artists actually drew inspiration from their faith. J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis would fall into that category.

I've seen both sides of religion. At it's worst, it can be a force of oppression and even death. At it's best, it can inspire humans to do truly remarkable things.

Black Dragon you grought up something interesting to me. That is, as you say, "[religion] At it's worst, it can be a force of oppression and even death. At it's best, it can inspire humans to do truly remarkable things." What I like to talk about though isn't this true of humanity in general? I mean look at the secularism of science and the amzing things that it has brought to the world. Yet also look at the secularism found in the Communist parties of Russia and China and see the death and destruction they wrought.

I would like to hear your opinions as to why this is on both the religious and secular sides of the spectrum. For me it is nothing more than power. For an example of this one could look to Hitler who used both religion and atheism as a means of acquiring power. I would just like to know your thoughts and others on the subject.

As an side I ask this for a somewhat selfish reason to assist me in reasoning out and then writing out this concept for a novel. I have found for the best way to develop ideas is therough the adversarial method.

Ophiucha

Auror
Religion is just one of the many things that are part of your culture and upbringing, and though they may dictate the specifics of how you enact your rule of tyranny, scientific intellect, artistic talent, etc., ultimately you would do it anyway. If Stalin were a dedicated Orthodox Christian, for instance, I don't think he wouldn't have been a dictator. Maybe not a communist dictator, as communism is generally pretty secular (but then, I suppose that was greatly in part due to Stalin, so who knows how it could have been), but perhaps he would have become a more fascist dictator. Him and Hitler could have been buds. Similarly, I doubt a Christian scientist is going to be the one who tries to scientifically disprove God, but he may still find a more effective cure for cancer. It's not religion that dictates this sort of thing. Homeland, too. Katsushika Hokusai grew up in a time when Japan was relatively isolated and knew little of other paintings, so his work is influenced by the Japanese landscape and Japanese artwork. I don't think that if he were born in China, and could travel the world or see art from Europe, that he wouldn't have been an artist, but how and what he drew may have been quite different.

myrddin173

Maester
as communism is generally pretty secular

I think that's a bit of a understatement. Communism is as secular as it is possible to be. There is a Marxist quote "Religion is the opium of the masses," basically the Bourgeois (the rich people) use the "church" to make the Proletariats (the poor people) more accepting of their situation (poverty). In communist revolutions the church is destroyed as a result most communists are atheist. Which is the reason why a country like Iran, with its strong religious base, would never become communist.

Other than that I have to agree with Ophiucha, religion (or the absence of) is merely an influence on people. It does not make them do things, just affects how they will do them.

Ophiucha

Auror
I think that's a bit of a understatement. Communism is as secular as it is possible to be. There is a Marxist quote "Religion is the opium of the masses," basically the Bourgeois (the rich people) use the "church" to make the Proletariats (the poor people) more accepting of their situation (poverty). In communist revolutions the church is destroyed as a result most communists are atheist. Which is the reason why a country like Iran, with its strong religious base, would never become communist.
Well, it's hardly like communist leaders are known for sticking to Marx. Also, there is this Christian communism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Well, it's hardly like communist leaders are known for sticking to Marx.
Which is why it does not work. If people were capable of doing this then Communism would work... unfortunately people are imperfect and therefore we will never have a "perfect form of government".

Joe I would have to disagree with you that Communism in its Marxist form would work for a one major reason. That reason is that according to Marx the redistribution of wealth must be done by a governmental dictatorial body. This body would in fact have all the governing power. Man kind above all else desire power. Whether it is over ourselves or others we mostly want power in some shape and form. Therefore by giving absolute power to a bunch of people will result only in having communism exist in its transtionary state and never go on to be the promised utopia. The flaw is within the Marxist system.