• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What constitutes as bad writing?

Chilari

Staff
Seth: I had hoped to forget that movie forever. Curse you! *shakes fist* However, it is a very good example of bad writing. And bad acting. And bad direction. And possibly a cautionary tale against drug use, because I can't imagine everyone was sober making that.

I struggle to read stories which don't flow and which don't appear to have any direction. A lot of the stories I put down after a chapter or two are stories where I have little idea of the goals of the character or what antagonist is to be combatted. Stories that begin with characters just doing things, but with no indication of why they're doing it or what end they are working towards. More so when the story begins with a prologue in which either nothing happens at all, or in which the actions of the characters don't appear to have any impact on anything at all. And I'll drop a book even sooner if the flow of the narrative is poor - uneven pacing, head hopping, awkward or inaccurate phrasing, changes in narrative voice for no reason and so on.

TWErvin2

Auror
Bad writing is writing that doesn't effectively convey the story to the reader.

Good writing is writing that effectively conveys the story to the reader.

Okay, I guess you'd have to define "effectively" but that goes along with good vs. bad. It's subjective.

Quillstine

Troubadour
I think Phil The Drill really hit the nail on the head. For me whats more pertinent is whether it's a good or bad story. I have read novels were I find the writing just a pinch above terrible. But I read it from cover to cover because I want to know what happens, I like the characters and I like being in their world.
I have also read what I find to be novels full of eloquent sentences and perfect paragraphs. But I stop half way through them because the story is just not at all interesting. I hate the MC and plot arcs and stop because I want to put myself out of the misery that is reading it!
Of course good writing with a good story....no that's just like a big cup of earl grey on a winters morning!

Ayaka Di'rutia

Troubadour
In your opinion, what constitutes as bad writing and what constitutes as good writing?

Bad writing:

Bad grammar and/or when the author does not convey a meaningful message across in their prose, and when the prose is confusing as to characters and plot.

Good writing:

Opposite of that above, especially the meaningful message and the characters.