• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing from first to last

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I have multiple writing projects in hand now and I'm beginning to see sense in keeping track of where I am in each. This quickly led me to the need for some sort of template, which in turn caused me to think about the entire arc of a writing project. Here is what I have, partly for your consideration and partly in case it sparks further discussion.

1. Concept
The core idea. This is in constant revision, right through the Writing phase.
2. Title
Same as above
3. Outline
This can vary. Anything from a detail Snowflake-type outline, to little more than a sense of three acts.
4. Writing - first draft
Also known as 'the fun part'
5. Writing - edit
Also known as 'the hard part'. In my mind, this covers everything from the second draft onward. If you have a set number of drafts you do, I would delineate them here. Some never do this step at all.
6. Editing
By which I mean having the work edited by a professional. Covers all types of editing.
7. Cover art
Hired or DIY
8. Publishing
Traditional or self, this is all the steps of assembling a finished work. For traditional it would include the print run.
9. Marketing
Everything you do from the time the book is available to the public.

I'm guessing there may be some sort of after-life stage as well. Reprints. Anthology (if a short story). Translation. Audio.

The thing that strikes me in all this is how much "other" is involved besides actually making stuff up and putting it on paper. Not a complaint, just an observation.

What else would you include? I can think of one. Maintaining your platform. Blog, newsletter, tweets. Yes these are used for marketing, but in fact most of your activity here will *not* be marketing. Could also call it customer relationship management, which goes by the unfortunate acronym of CRM.

What else? It all becomes part of my template. Ideally, with each project I'll be able to note that I'm at stage 4 on this one, stage 8 on that one, that four projects are at 2. And be able to attach target dates for when each gets to the next stage. It will also help me plan time, not over-commit, etc.

Research is missing - the amount of time it takes up depends on the type of writing you're doing - but its essential. many writers prefer to do it before starting on an outline.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Agreed. Research is on my list now. Although I created a sequential list, in fact some of the activities run in tandem. Or are iterative.

But I applied the list to all my projects; some are near the end, some right at the beginning. The list did seem to work across all projects and I was able to see *all* projects laid out on a spreadsheet. Where appropriate I entered target dates or checked off as completed.

I *think* it's useful. I often feel I'm in the middle of a swamp with all my writing. Using the list, I'm still in the swamp but now I have a map.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
4. Writing - first draft
Also known as 'the fun part'
5. Writing - edit
Also known as 'the hard part'.

For me, the first draft has elements of fun, but it's also the hardest. Is there anything in life tougher than a blank page?

Granted, the second draft isn't a bed of roses, either. I allow myself to completely suck on the first draft. The second has to meet a much higher standard.

The easy part, for me, is the 3rd draft.

I'm with BWF: first-drafting is hard and the rewrites are hard in a different way. :)

I keep a calendar of the year with the major project(s) and their stages that I'd like to be working on each month. The stages I use for this are:
1. Dreaming - this is brainstorming, worldbuilding, researching, concepting, big-plot-scheming; almost always this takes place around the edges of actively working on another project
2. Plotting - this is where I get systematic, start pinning my plot to a structure and, in the final stages, outlining chapter by chapter
3. First-draft
4. Drawer - the first draft gets put aside for at least one month, preferably while I work on something else, to clear my mind on it
5. Rewrites - read the first draft, pull it apart, put it back together better
6. First readers - again, this happens while I'm working on something else, because it will always take a month, sometimes two
7. Revisions - taking in feedback from readers
8. Second readers - this is often quicker, because the novel's a lot more polished, so mostly during this phase I work on getting submission material together
9. Final edits / submissions - and getting to work on the next project

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm noticing that not many are talking about the post-writing part of writing. Specifically, publishing (cover art, formatting, putting on the various platforms -- that's for self-pub, naturally), and marketing. IMO, it's important to factor in those time sinks.

MineOwnKing

Maester
I'm noticing that not many are talking about the post-writing part of writing. Specifically, publishing (cover art, formatting, putting on the various platforms -- that's for self-pub, naturally), and marketing. IMO, it's important to factor in those time sinks.

Formatting is actually pretty cheap, usually around $250.00.

The most important part of formatting is finding someone that is qualified.

A quality cover runs around $700.00, but the relief in seeing a professional job done right is a tremendous booster to self-confidence.

In my opinion, writers should let professional artists have 95% control over the cover design.

Marketing is a necessary evil which takes away from valuable writing time.

Success in marketing can seem like an unreachable goal but there is a faint light of hope at the end of the long and dreary tunnel for everyone.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Cost is a factor, of course, but so is the time involved. I have spent many hours browsing artist web sites, reading TheBookDesigner and other blogs, and in general getting myself to the point where I can judge a good cover. Even a single hiring takes time; time that looms larger if you haven't planned for it.

A pro cover is needed, I agree. But the price tag really hurts when the book itself is only 14,000 words long and you're offering it as a freebie as part of your marketing. But you can't cheap it because this is the hook.