• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Frenquency of writing + PS

Mectojic

Minstrel
I mainly write this because I will be busy with exams for the next 3 months, and am going to miss writing.
Who here writes on a daily basis? Do you have time to write for at least 1 hour every day, while working a job?

Please, I want to hear from people who don't have full-time careers in writing.

(P.S. so I don't have to make another post just for this, do you guys dislike the idea of having "pharaoh" as a title for rulers in my fantasy series? [it isn't set on Earth])

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
When I was in school, for the most part I had to set writing aside. The only writing I did was during small breaks while I was studying at the library. None of it went anywhere. It was mostly a description of something, some dialogue, or an expression of my mood.

But I've since realized, you don't have to write much each day to get something done. 250 words a day will get you a novel in a year. Now, I try to write/edit everyday even a little bit. I find it keeps my head in the game and the gears greased. But don't feel guilty if you can't write. School is important and writing will always be there.

As for pharaoh, I don't dislike the idea, but it would strike me as a bit odd if the setting wasn't at least flavored a little like ancient Egypt.

Incanus

Auror
I work a full-time job and I've been writing about 5 to 7 days a week for about 1 1/2 to maybe 3 hours per session. I'm so slow that its almost silly though. Working on that part.

I think the answer to your pharaoh question is like a lot of other answers: it depends.

Currently I am working an 8-5 job, with a wife and kid. I find about an hour or two to write every couple of night from 8-11 PM. It's hard, I don't watch a lot of TV, but I do get a lot of writing done. However, I usually focus on word count goals rather than time goals. I say, I need to reach 1000 words tonight or it will be wasted. Then I reach the 1000 words usually around ten. If the wife fell asleep on the couch I keep writing, otherwise it's relaxing time.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Who here writes on a daily basis? Do you have time to write for at least 1 hour every day, while working a job?

Over the last year or so, I've done a pretty good job of writing daily. There were a couple of dark periods where I didn't write for a couple of months at a time. Lately, though, I'm spending one to three hours a day either writing, editing, or outlining.

I have a full time job and two young kids.

Trick

Auror
I write in bursts, sometimes putting out 2500-3000 words a day. This will only last for a while, a week or two. Then I write sporadically, maybe 1 to 2K a week. Then I go dark for a few weeks. Then I go head on again for a while.

I have a more than full time job (about 50 hrs a week) am taking full time online classes and have two kids. I took the summer off of school but bought a house and have been remodeling/updating it the whole time. I'll get just enough done to start school again at the end of August. And I thought I'd have extra time to write this summer ;) HA! I obviously have no time for video games or TV, 99% of the time.

EDIT:

For the pharaoh thing, I need context but one thing: if you do not want to have some Egyptian influence, it might seem out of place.

Last edited: