• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Recent content by ThinkerX

  1. T

    What is your worlds stance on lgbtq folks?

    Depends on where you live in the Solarian Empire, along with your social status. In the more conservative provinces, being Gay comes with a death penalty...for commoners. Elsewhere, Gays and Lesbians are tolerated. The main lesbian in the 'Empire' series is a formidable female warrior of noble...
  2. T

    Changing the MC's name after a couple of chapters?

    In 'Labyrinth War,' I have a POV Character who initially went by 'Singer,' though other characters did use his real name from time to time. After assorted adventures, his real name replaced 'Singer.'
  3. T

    How Epic Fantasy Writes So Many Characters at Once

    I tend to go with POV 'anchor characters' who associate with a multitude of other characters. In 'Empire,' Tia, a wealthy young woman hunting for a noble husband, hangs out with the aristocracy and hangers-on. Rebecca, her maid and minstrel, seeks out other entertainers. Sir Peter Cortez hangs...
  4. T

    Chapter length?

    I have chapters as short as 300 words, and some that top 16,000 words. The chapters are as long as they need to be.
  5. T

    Inspiration struck...

    I can almost but not quite envision my full story, but writing out the rough draft in one shot is beyond me. As it is, I have to recheck the names of secondary characters, plus I have scenes and chapters that change locations. Being a slow typist with bad hands doesn't help.
  6. T

    Inspiration struck...

    I am impressed.
  7. T

    What is your worlds stance on lgbtq folks?

    The main nation of my main world is puritanical - divorces are hard to get, though nobles of both sexes often have affairs. Gays and lesbians are technically illegal. Still, I do have one prominent lesbian character. (A high-ranking noblewoman and war hero.) Outside of that nation, matters are...
  8. T

    New Dark Fantasy Writer

    welcome
  9. T

    How do you keep dread alive when nothing scary is happening yet?

    I had to deal with this situation in 'Empire: Country,' the first book of my 'Empire' series. I took two approaches: First, I started the story with the massacre of a handful of peasants, which was attributed to one of the dangerous beasts known to wander into the area. The solution for the...
  10. T

    Aspiring Author

    Welcome! Worldbuilding is fine, though it can be overdone. Writing takes a bit of self-discipline. Best advice there is: 'Write at least a few sentences every day, even when you don't feel like it, even when you think it is horrible.' Do that often enough, and the words flow more easily...
  11. T

    Writing Pointers

    Writing pointers... 1 - Butt in chair. 2 - Grunt (optional) 3 - Write, ignoring all distractions. Also... Write at least a little every day, even if you don't feel like it, even if you think it is horrible.
  12. T

    Amateur author here

    welcome!
  13. T

    Greetings

    welcome. I liked Feist. Read the others.
  14. T

    Worldbuilding without a story?

    My main world was like this for a very long time - a detailed setting devoid of stories. Then again, it was for an AD&D campaign.
  15. T

    Inspiration struck...

    Wow! Even the person writing the 'Wandering Inn' didn't put out that many words in a single session. I am impressed.
Top