• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Terry Goodkind self publishing

brokethepoint

Troubadour
Found it interesting that a big name author is going self pub.

Bestselling fantasy author Terry Goodkind is self-publishing his next novel, The First Confessor. The author has been releasing tidbits about the book via social media--he has shared links to two book trailers through Twitter and his Facebook page--and, on Tuesday, unveiled the title of the work. The book will be available on July 2.

Terry Goodkind to Self-Publish Next Novel

danr62

Sage
This is actually old news and the book has been out for like a year or so. I thought of picking it up but wasn't sure I could stand more of his preaching.

brokethepoint

Troubadour
ooops, didn't notice that. Just saw it the other week and found it interesting, guess I just didn't pay any attention to the year.

I don't think I have read any of his books so am not sure what the preachy refers to.

ndmellen

Minstrel
This is interesting news, but I too think I will pass. I agree with you Danr. The Sword of Truth started out as an amazing series. The first 8 books or so were fantastic, but after that it all turned into one big drawn out lecture. It seemed as though none of the characters could wipe their own a** anymore without Richard there to explain why (and at great length) they were doing it. The ending was also a huge disappointment.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I couldn't make it past Wizard's First Rule, so I suspect I will not find the later books appealing at all.

danr62

Sage
ooops, didn't notice that. Just saw it the other week and found it interesting, guess I just didn't pay any attention to the year.

I don't think I have read any of his books so am not sure what the preachy refers to.

This book is the prequel to his Sword of Truth series. Much of the series is spend expounding on the evils of communism or the idea that mankind has any sort of duty to help one another out in hard times. It seems like he thinks no one should help anyone unless they get something out of it.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
The Law of Nines wasn't very good, but I still purchased The Omen Machine. Truthfully, it was absolutely dreadful. Just terrible. I seriously doubt I will ever read Goodkind again. In fact, it so soured me that I sold all the rest of my SoT books, though I feel bad now about foisting that dreck on someone else :(

zizban

Troubadour
This book is the prequel to his Sword of Truth series. Much of the series is spend expounding on the evils of communism or the idea that mankind has any sort of duty to help one another out in hard times. It seems like he thinks no one should help anyone unless they get something out of it.

Ayn Rand follower.

SeverinR

Vala
If you already have a name, and a following, you might make more money doing it yourself. Also if you have differences in opinion with you. (maybe the publisher also felt the way the posters here do)

I don't remember how far I got in his series.

claras

Dreamer
I read only the first book, mostly due to the exact same sentiments being voiced by my husband, who was a couple of books further in the series.

Having said that, I often recall the Wizard's First Rule when I wonder why the world works the way it does.