• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Diablo 3

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Is anyone in these parts looking forward to Diablo 3 as much as I am? Maybe I'm nostalgic because of those Diablo 2 days from a decade ago, but I keep playing around with the skill calculator attempting to build the better barbarian.

Ravana

Istar
I think it's a myth. They're just yanking our chains. :p

Seriously: I'd say I was looking forward to it… but I've gotten tired of "looking forward" to it. When it shows up, I'll be happy. Until they give a real release date, I'm not even going to think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlieDay

Scribe
Who here would like to see them bring back the Butcher from Diablo 1? He was a boss in one of the first few dungeons. I remember playing that game as a kid and thinking the butcher was so cool. For those who do not remember, he was a big fat daemon who fought with a giant cleaver, and was found in a room covered in blood with body parts hanging on all the walls.

Ahh, the Butcher. I still remember the first time I came across him. "Holy crap there's a gigantic scary guy covered in blood holding a cleaver and HE'S CHASING ME AUUGHGHHHH"

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
@Ravana, I know what you mean. I think it's appropriate that my barbarian will be an old, white-bearded man by the time he gets to play!

I just stay off the Blizzard site for a month or several when I stop seeing new and exciting things. I do like the direction they're taking with the series, however, so I don't mind the wait.

Solomon Tan

Minstrel
Ah, the Butcher! he's my favorite boss. What can be more scary to have a monster with a huge cleaver walking almost as fast as you and deals huge damage!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I never played D1, but I just saw the butcher (I think) on one of the Blizzard site's videos. I assume the cleaver-wielding zombie/demon that says "fresh meat" is the butcher.

Also, that same video mentioned that the original plan for "Diablo" was a turned-based claymation RPG. Original! ...but I think the series was better off as the hack-and-slash game we've all come to know and love.

Telcontar

Staff
Yep, definitely looking forward to it. Unlike Ravana, I am well-used to Blizzard wait times. I went to the store 7 seperate times to get the first Strarcraft (on each one of its separate release dates...)

Hell, they even almost got me to re-re-signup for WoW in order to get the free copy. Oh Blizzard, you clever devils.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I am well-used to Blizzard wait times.
I'm not! I think I first heard of D3 when I still lived in Hong Kong. (I moved back to the U.S. in July 2008.)

Like I said earlier in this thread, I just back off from the Blizzard site for a while every so often. The beauty of this is when I return to the Blizzard site, there's so much info I didn't know about! Just a couple days ago, I saw a beta video and discovered that you just get skills as you level up. The thing I didn't care for in D2 was making all those choices about stats and skills, without really knowing what the benefits were. Now I just get all skills, and activate the ones I think are best. If my skills stink, I just activate different skills. So I won't find myself in Hell with a friend saying, "You wasted your skill points on Jab. Cut your losses and get Fend instead."

I'm desperately (and not so patiently) waiting for D3. Having been a Blizzard player for a while, I'm quite used to their habit of moving back dates, but it doesn't make it any better. o_O I'd be playing D2 and maybe even D1, but they don't run right on Windows 7.

soulless

Troubadour
I would so love to play this but I doubt my laptop is good enough and I just know I'd get swallowed up in it like i did for 2 years by diablo 2 and probably en up losing my job because I never turned up lol