• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Diablo III Free Open Beta

Been a while since I stopped in here, but I wanted to let you guys know that DIII will be free to play during Open Beta from noon today through Monday. You'll need to log into your Battle.net account and set up your free BattleTag for play (located in the account section). Then download the game from: https://us.battle.net/account/download/index.xml

You can do it with a free Battle.net account if you've somehow managed to avoid WoW, Starcraft or any of the other major Blizzard titles. :p

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I looked at a couple of gameplay videos online. I might just give this one a miss. Or at least wait until people I know are playing it so I can get their impressions.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Been a while since I stopped in here, but I wanted to let you guys know that DIII will be free to play during Open Beta from noon today through Monday. You'll need to log into your Battle.net account and set up your free BattleTag for play (located in the account section). Then download the game from: https://us.battle.net/account/download/index.xml

You can do it with a free Battle.net account if you've somehow managed to avoid WoW, Starcraft or any of the other major Blizzard titles. :p
Nice! If I can do this with a free account, I'm going for it!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Did anyone play this over the free weekend? It looks like one of those isometric games where you just run around in a dungeon or wherever and spam the attack button on the mouse. What's the verdict?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
It's pretty much Diablo 2 updated.

3D, but in a way that simulates the overhead look of D2. I like the level-up system better. You get a new skill with each level-up, and you can access every skill from the class. Not pick one and get stuck with that build. You don't pick stats at all, which I really like.

There's more "story"--which by itself can be taken as good or bad, but I felt like the NPCs made the quests flow well. Plus, your map is marked so you can skip the talky stuff and still do what you need to. There are "checkpoints," which I assume are resurrection points when the game gets hard. The demo is only the first act (or part of it?--I didn't finish the demo). Like in D2, you're likely to live through act 1.

I'm happy with the content. It's easy at first, but so was D2.

I see this being fun as a co-op game. I always played Diablo 2 in a party of 3-5. D3 has a four-player limit, but that's fine.

I plan to buy it, but don't think I can get my wife into it. I also doubt I'll play through every difficulty level due to lack of free time.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I never played any of the Diablo games. When I saw the gameplay videos it looks like something like FATE, though with better graphics.