• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Elementalist or Conjurer?

So I have a character that can take an element (Earth, fire, wind and water) and control it.
For example he takes the fire from a flaming torch and turns it in to a massive fire ball then throws it back at guy holding the torch.
Or takes a few drops of water and conjures it in to enough to fill drinking flasks.

My question is though is he an elementalist or a conjurer?

Or are they the same thing?

Just would like some feedback on what name works best and if there is a difference between the two names?

Thanks guys!

a conjurer is someone who can conjure anything while an elementist is some one who controls the elements so i would say he is a conuring elementist which is best of botf an elemest who conjures any elements and controls them thats my opinion anyway

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Conjuring implies that it comes from thin air or a far away place. If he needs a small amount of that element to begin with he is not a conjurer.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Or you could simply call him a mage :D
I hate when things get technical. I think the word elementalist has a primal tone to it, thus I would name it to a more shamanistic character. Conjurer, on the other hand, makes me think of blue robes and long, white beards. But that's just a stereotype. I would give the title of conjurer to a mage, sorceror, or a wizard... someone more sophisticated or intelligent.

But that's just my two cents.

SeverinR

Vala
I like the general terms,
Mage, wizard,

When you get tecnical;
Summoner: calls a living being to help the person.
Conjurer: creates something from little or nothing
Elementalist; person that has the ability to control the elements or certain elements.
illusionist: magic concentrates on illusions rather then physical beings. (if a person knows his occupation, illusions are pretty easy to disbelieve, thus rendering the mage a side show projectionist)
enchanter: magic concentrates on creating magical items.

For my magic, they are different studies of magic, few concentrate on one, but use a variety to get the job done.

Phoenix

Troubadour
I think something else. Those two names are good, but I think they have been used before. Even if you have to come up with a new word, I would try coming up with some different name.