• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New Roleplay World?

Nimue

Auror
Sounds interesting. I've been involved with some non-dice RPs in the past and had a load of fun, so If one's starting here you can count me in.
Yay! Good to have you. Four people's not half bad!

I like where you're going with this. I've definitely seen the "unbelievably heroic" in one game. A player wrote his character with anime ninja abilities. He was injured, but managed to wall-jump his way up thirty feet onto "the rafters." …just to be awesome, I guess, since his weapon of choice was a sword. I think he went up there to say something scary to the bad guys then he jumped down and killed them. Oh, and make that two swords. So, no free hand and the injury was in the leg. When reminded of the injury, he edited his post to say he performed that acrobatic feat "with difficulty."
Hahahaha! Perfectly reasonable. I wrote my share of implausible feats in rps when I was younger, but you gotta learn from it! I think my favorite moment was this guy who, in the middle of a fairly normal introductory conversation, wrote that his character dropped dead from a spell cast by some unspecified enemy and then had to be revived by another character while his character guided them through it by some kind of astral/psychic projection? Because that's totally something you can do when your heart has stopped. Holy drama from nowhere, Batman.

The three strikes rule sounds like a good way to let people know not to do stuff like that. I think you make it pretty clear that you want combat, when it happens, to be interesting. So as the player, I'd know up front my character will survive, but I'd write the struggle and the GM weighs in and may or may not give my PC a challenge or dilemma, or the surprise twist could be a pleasant one, if I understand correctly.
Yes, that's pretty much it. An essential part of this is giving the player freedom to write their own outcome, trusting that they'll do something realistic and interesting. The GM can say, oh, there's this many monsters and bam, that one just jumped for you, but it's the player who writes about narrowly avoiding getting clawed in the face and wrestling for a chokehold on the beast and grabbing their boot dagger just in time to stick it in the thing's eye. Instead of saving rolls (lol hope I used that right) the player gets to decide what happens, based on what would be in character and whether they want to beat their character up or give them a moment's victory. Of course, this does depend on the player writing a good scene, but doesn't everything? I'm hoping that since, hey, this forum is full of writers, we all know when it makes narrative sense for a character to succeed and when they should fail.

My Addison Lane character is a huntress who is interested in beast-riding. I could see her wanting to learn a thing or two from the dragon rider. I'd gladly play this as her, since she's the only one in her group that I haven't played in someone else's RPG.
Yes, definitely! You know, I hadn't considered that there would be creatures other than dragons that could be bonded to humans in this world, but why not? Maybe any magical beast could form a kind of mental bond with those they choose. Ooh, that adds another dimension to the warhorse-type kirins that I was thinking of having the Auroe elves ride... The unique thing about dragons, I think, would be that they are powerful reservoirs of magic that their rider shares in, and that they are highly intelligent, and...also that they are huge and scaly and breathe fire.

Ravana

Istar
Oh, I think I would, given a bit of time. My maps tend to be rather wiggly, though: for example. With bonus sea serpent :p

Oh, and if you'd care to allow the collaborative storytelling to extend beyond text posts, I might be able to unwiggle that for ya a bit. In fact, I'd be happy to do it even if I don't play.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'm just trying to picture how that dropping dead RP went.

JOE: "Hi, I'm Joe Ironballs, warrior extraordinai–ack!"

TIM: "Dear lord! Someone call the royal guard! Murder! Evil mag… huh?"

JOE'S GHOST: "Now, Tim. Don't panic. I want you to rip off my shirt. You're going to need the red powder in my belt pouch–not the blue!–and some ink, a quill, and a means of lighting a fire."

TIM: "Won't I look like I'm looting your corpse?"

JOE'S GHOST: "There's no time to worry about that, Tim. Can you sing Tim?"

TIM: "Sing what?!"

JOE'S GHOST: "The Resurrection Song, Tim. I will think the words to you and reveal step-by-step visions of the ritual. Just follow along."

TIM: "♫ Add a pinch of Lazaruz powder / rub it on the chest / ink a magic circle / to prevent eternal rest… ♫"

LADY: "He's looting a corpse in the town square!"

TIM: "Shut up, lady! I'm trying to save his life!"

JOE'S GHOST: "Sing it, Tim! You must sing!"

TIM: "♫ I'm trying to save / his liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife… ♫"

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimue

Auror
*grabs Ravana by the collar and drags them out of the cave* :D The setting is going to get a lot more detail, so maybe that'll help. I was going to get some of that written tonight, but Jesus I am tired.

Animal companions don't count towards your initial character count--unless there's like five and your character is some kind of animal companion hoarder. But if they're intelligent they would require their own little profiles!

Line-straightening services would be greatly appreciated, heh. Making a map would certainly be a priority, there's a some geography going on here.

Edit: Hahahaha! I wish it had been that hilarious! It was still pretty hilarious, and actually did include detailed medico-magical instructions, but man... he played it totally serious.

Ravana

Istar
Animal companions don't count towards your initial character count--unless there's like five and your character is some kind of animal companion hoarder. But if they're intelligent they would require their own little profiles!

That line was more for LS's sake… and he got it. :D

The character in question was a first-level druid in a d20 setting. Rather than take the traditional "best-combat-critter-you-can-get-at-first-level" companion, she opted for a pair of smaller companions who augmented her "surviving-alone-in-the-wilderness" abilities. One was a raven—doubly appropriate considering her choice of deity. For whom she gave a different name every time she invoked him. The other was a vihmakissa, whatever the hell that is. (That was the full species name—"vihmakissa whatever the hell that is"—as far as anybody in that game knew: that's how it was given every time I mentioned it.) She also had a reindeer, but that wasn't a companion, just a mount. And, yes, she was easily small enough to ride a reindeer comfortably.

All of which I mention because there's a remote chance I might want to revise her to fit your setting. Though I think I have some more appropriate ideas.* Besides, it would be hard for her to get the reindeer on a dragon. :p

Line-straightening services would be greatly appreciated, heh. Making a map would certainly be a priority, there's a some geography going on here.

Glad to. I make maps for fun. Perfectly happy to make one for actual use. We can work out the details, but my suggestion would be to send me a sketch if you have one, plus any details about what has to go where relative to something else (big difference between separated by 60 and 600 miles… or by 60 miles of prairie versus 60 miles of mountains), any notes on what can't be where (or anywhere), then I'll just flesh it out from there. If you don't have a sketch, the notes will do, as long as you're willing to be surprised by it not looking quite the way you'd envisioned it. But, hey, that's what collaborative is about, eh? Or, if you don't even have a vision beyond the general geography you give in the setting, I can start by roughing that in and we can go from there. Once I've got something, we'll bounce it back and forth to make changes, refinements and expansions as appropriate.

Oh—just in case it matters: 3D topographic maps take longer, and I'm far more reluctant to make major alterations to those, so that will probably have to wait until we have the basics firmed up. ;)

•••

* You remember the other characters I've played recently, right, LS? Though I might have a hard time choosing between them; may have to negotiate bringing them both along. It wouldn't be necessary, but I've kinda come to think of them as a set. And it sounds like those swords might come in handy.…

Last edited:

Philster401

Maester
That sounds like it was amazing and hilarious I would have loved to see it in person. By the way how long do you think it will take before the RPG would be up or at least starting to be a WIP, Nimue?

Philster401

Maester
Yeah topographic do take longer I had to make one last year for science it took a while not as long as my friend did though his made mine look like childs plays btw my topographic map is in portfolio never bottom of my map.

Ravana

Istar
Yeah topographic do take longer

Yep… though more to the point, I use SketchUp for those. It isn't too hard to create topo features, but it's a real pain to remove them without hosing up everything around them.… :rolleyes:

I don't figure we really need that level of detail. Might do a couple of narrow-scope ones for important terrain features at some point, but for the general action, I'm sure a much more basic map will suffice.

Speaking of which: I already have a sketch based on the description to date. No idea if it corresponds with Nimue's vision of things; just made it in case she didn't have one yet. Like I said: I do these for fun. :)

---

[In case anyone wants to see what happens when I get bored and feel like doing geography/architecture:

http://mythicscribes.com/gallery/g524-city-of-kilvikasa.html

One of the (few) advantages to SketchUp: it's a pretty easy 3D modeler to use, and once you have the model, you can view it from any angle and distance. As witness. (I assume this is true of any 3D modeler, if you have the patience to learn them and the money to obtain them–the biggest advantage of SketchUp is its free download version is complete enough for most people's needs.)]

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'd love to see more of Hiljikki on reindeerback! But if you go with the prince-and-huntress couple, they're fun too.

I think Addison Lane will be my first physically-average character in an RPG. So far, they've either been powerful brutes, pixyish huntresses, or even more pixyish tiny winged women.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
That sounds like it was amazing and hilarious I would have loved to see it in person. By the way how long do you think it will take before the RPG would be up or at least starting to be a WIP, Nimue?
I know what you mean. I'm psyched about RP'ing a character who I've already written in a couple of short stories. It'll be fun meeting each other's characters, and I'm actually glad Nimue is aiming for third-person POV. I use first-person in Dragon's Egg, so I feel like I'll be more well-rounded this way. (Hmm… maybe I should GM Flat Earth in second-person.)

Ravana

Istar
Philster401: Thank you.

-

I'd love to see more of Hiljikki on reindeerback! But if you go with the prince-and-huntress couple, they're fun too.

Either is possible. (Not sure how well Heverik would fare in this setting… the main reason I'd be inclined to bring only his fair lady. Unless we feel the need for unrelieved comic relief… heh.) Hiljikki popped into my mind mainly because of the names already in use in the setting.

Or someone completely different: all of those were new when they first appeared here. Algernon's been my only rerun so far. (And he's not coming to this shindig.) So history suggests I'm more likely to produce a fresh one–my wealth of old characters notwithstanding. Though I have no objections to running retreads: I only have one old character I know I'll never play again–and that's because I'm forbidden to. By everyone who ever met him. (He wouldn't've been setting-appropriate anyway, so no loss there.)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Depends on what's going on in the GM's life. Flat Earth is on Christmas vacation because of 4 birthdays (23rd, 27th, 28th, 29th), Christmas, and today's party.

I think once that first post is up, we can keep things going as players.

Do you have a character yet? If you're dying to RP him/her, feel free to start a thread in Q&A, or create a bio or even a "flash fic" piece for the character.

My character is Addison Lane. If you click the link in my sig, you can read some GM-approved character history. (The breel may not exist in this game's world, but still, Addy took on a large flying beast.)

Philster401

Maester
Thanks I read your character history. I want to do something with video games as a career but I'm not that good of a writer or artist especially compared to some kids/friends a my school that's why I joined the forum to see other writers and hope they could give me some perspective and that it might help my writing.