• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Explaining different World as a creation of omnipotent being?

fantastic

Minstrel
My story is urban fantasy. But there is a portal to another world, that is different from ours. For example, the world is infinite. This is physically impossible to happen, because gravity would not allow it and for many other reasons. So, is explaining the World is like that because omnipotent being created it like that alright?

I would say that would be fine. As far as I know Urban Fantasy often deals with concepts and situations out of the ordinary. The reason we write in this genre is to escape from the conventional and tell stories that are supernatural.
Ultimatly it is your story and you can do whatever you want.

Last edited:

Russ

Istar
that is certainly one approach to the problem IF YOU NEED TO EXPLAIN IT.

The other approach is simply to realize that there is no reason to believe that what we perceive as the laws of physics function at all similarly in other universes/dimensions.

There are a number of scientific/philosophical/mathematical and religious ways to deal with this apparent issue. If you need to deal with it at all.

For example, the world is infinite. This is physically impossible to happen, because gravity would not allow it.

Luckily, you're writing fantasy, not realistic fiction. You can do what you want. You don't have to explain anything if you don't feel like it's necessary.

Hi,

My thought would be do you have to explain it at all? This is a fantasy. So why not have the world simply described as endless. Then perhaps put in a comment at some point about the sages have argued for years about whether it's actually infinite or simply too large for a man to walk across in a lifetime.

Cheers, Greg.

My story is urban fantasy. But there is a portal to another world, that is different from ours. For example, the world is infinite. This is physically impossible to happen, because gravity would not allow it and for many other reasons. So, is explaining the World is like that because omnipotent being created it like that alright?

Given you've chosen to write a fantasy novel you don't really have to go into some hardcore physics explanation in order to make a convincing argument about why there are other dimensions and infinite space/time. You can if you so choose but it's a lot of extra work and it still would be a theory that has no evidence to back it up.