• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I'm thinking of using the word 'dragon' in a different way for my story...

Of course, in my story there are traditional dragons, and also a species of 'humanoid' dragons. (more human than dragon but still obviously a 'dragon' folk)
But I was thinking that in my world the phrase 'dragon' could have a different meaning.
Like, how in fiction, dragons are often seen as being between mortals and gods. (and sometimes actual gods themselves)
I was thinking of taking it in more a literal direction.
Like, a 'dragon' isn't always one of the dragon kin, or a giant fire breathing lizard.
But A person who would basically qualify as a demigod for lack of a better word. (and they are called dragons because there's dragon blood in their lineage and that's where all their power comes from)

Queshire

Istar
Huh, sounds fun. The order you introduce them in might matter. I think it'd probably be easier to start with introducing one of the demigod style Dragons first and then later go, "Oh hey, and there's also giant fire breathing lizard style Dragons/Dragon people too," than the reverse.

Huh, sounds fun. The order you introduce them in might matter. I think it'd probably be easier to start with introducing one of the demigod style Dragons first and then later go, "Oh hey, and there's also giant fire breathing lizard style Dragons/Dragon people too," than the reverse.
To be fair, the reader is introduced to the gods first (only one of them is a 'classic' dragon in every sense of the word when not in human form) and then they are introduced to a dragon kin, who are more just humans with dragon features that can be 'dragons' if there's dragons in their bloodline.
The first character who's properly described as dragon like is one of the Dragon Kin and she's one of the main protagonists in the story.

The plot is about the Prince of a desert kingdom being tasked by his father to bring him five dragons, either alive or dead. Of course the prince is quite young so he obviously misreads the word 'dragon' and kinda fails at it. (this is before the story starts) It's only after he finally meets a dragon kin where he goes 'huh' and figures it out.

I'm starting by after the prologue, introducing the dragon kin (at this point all the readers know is that there's just the typical fantasy races, ya know, elves, dwarves etc) and then at some point the protagonist has an encounter with the god who takes the form of a dragon.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
You can do what ever you want. It's your story. Just make it clear so the reader knows what's going on, and you'll be fine.

But FYI, I haven't read the series, but if I remember right, in the Wheel of Time, one of the characters is called the Dragon Reborn, the reincarnation of the Dragon, which is the title for a special being from their past.

Scarface Claw

You can do what ever you want. It's your story. Just make it clear so the reader knows what's going on, and you'll be fine.

But FYI, I haven't read the series, but if I remember right, in the Wheel of Time, one of the characters is called the Dragon Reborn, the reincarnation of the Dragon, which is the title for a special being from their past.
I honestly wouldn't recommend it, Wheel of Time is a bit of a slog but that's a moan for another thread I suppose!
:geek:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I dont think this is uncommon, using dragon to mean just a person in the story. I've seen it happen many times, sometimes just for people behind the screen.

I honestly wouldn't recommend it, Wheel of Time is a bit of a slog but that's a moan for another thread I suppose!
:geek:
Is it really that bad? lol Now I'm sort of curious about it.

I’ve read a few books where a ‘dragon’ is just basically a man, or a wizard / sorcerer type.
Ye one of the animes I watched did that kinda, there were a select few sorcerers raised by dragons of different types (steel, Fire, etc) and their magic was uber strong. The male lead character is kinda a goober tho (he's an idiot sometimes but you'll learn to like him) if you liked those stories you might like Fairy Tail. (there is a bit of fanservice but it's very minimal and brief. most of it is cool characters doing cool shit type of fanservice) Fair warning though that about halfway through the plot gets a bit nonsensical, I say this as an avid anime watcher. Regardless of the few little problems it has it's a solid watch. Honestly I'd even argue it's better written than the 'big 3' of anime. (Naruto DBZ and Bleach) Also to say that the characters are eccentric is an understatement. Not Jo Jo Bizarre adventure level eccentric, but still up there.

Is it really that bad?
No, it's not. Like all series, some parts are better than others. But overall it's a good series, better than a lot that comes out today, with some great entries and some not so good ones. Of course it has its issues, but almost everything does. That just means some people love it and some people really don't. The only way to find out what you think is to give it a try.

The main thing that can be said about it, is that it is very much a 90's epic fantasy series. While it is very much its own thing, it does pay homage to Tolkien, especially in the earlier books. And the setting is a pseudo-medieval england with magic in it kind of setting. So if that's not your thing, then it's probably not for you.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Fantasy writers face this challenge regularly. When I say orc, or gnome, or dragon, or heck even when I say human, the reader brings to the word a whole raft of preconceptions. Even more fun, different readers have different rafts. I don't know why a "raft" sometimes means a large collection of things rather than an object that floats. Anyways.

So, regardless of whether it's dragons or dragoons, it's worth paying a little bit of attention to this. There's no point in saying (however elegantly) "this here dragon isn't what you think" because you have no idea of the variety of things your readers are thinking. But do take pains to let your early descriptions set the distinction. Your dragon walks on two legs. It's named Bobby or Mary Sue or Pan. It can breathe fire, which makes them a big hit at a BBQ. And, as always, it's a good idea to scatter the descriptors somewhat rather than jamming them all into a single, introductory paragraph.

Also, accept that some readers are just not going to like it. They came for the wise, slightly snarky, lizards-with-wings, preferably in a handsome variety of colors. Sometimes the preconceptions outweigh the plot or even the prose. But you'll hook others, who will cheer the deviation from stereotypes.

I dont think this is uncommon, using dragon to mean just a person in the story. I've seen it happen many times, sometimes just for people behind the screen.
Basil Fawlty was married to a dragon, or so he claimed.

"Have you seen Sybil making toast?'

Fantasy writers face this challenge regularly. When I say orc, or gnome, or dragon, or heck even when I say human, the reader brings to the word a whole raft of preconceptions. Even more fun, different readers have different rafts. I don't know why a "raft" sometimes means a large collection of things rather than an object that floats. Anyways.
It's probably called a "raft" because rafts are things where we store objects (or people) to carry them to another place, generally all clumped together haphazardly :3
So, regardless of whether it's dragons or dragoons, it's worth paying a little bit of attention to this. There's no point in saying (however elegantly) "this here dragon isn't what you think" because you have no idea of the variety of things your readers are thinking. But do take pains to let your early descriptions set the distinction. Your dragon walks on two legs. It's named Bobby or Mary Sue or Pan. It can breathe fire, which makes them a big hit at a BBQ. And, as always, it's a good idea to scatter the descriptors somewhat rather than jamming them all into a single, introductory paragraph.
This is something I struggle with (Cramming all the details into the introduction paragraph) a lot I'm working on being better about it though. Like having certain characters notice specific things about the people they meet. (since the characters are different, they will note different things and for different reasons)
Also, accept that some readers are just not going to like it. They came for the wise, slightly snarky, lizards-with-wings, preferably in a handsome variety of colors. Sometimes the preconceptions outweigh the plot or even the prose. But you'll hook others, who will cheer the deviation from stereotypes.
I mean they'll be getting all types of dragons. Including Mr Smug, a dragon who gives his hoard of gold away to trespassers in hopes they won't slay him. And he's confident (smug) that this tactic will work on the protagonist, until it doesn't.