• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Thinking to rewrite.

Graylorne

Archmage
A idea I wanted to test out.

I haven't been very happy with how my (published) Revenaunt books turned out. Compared to my later books, certainly the English versions lack spirit. They were the only books I never had beta read, so they only had a line edit. Anyhow, I'm not happy with them and as they are the first books of an ongoing series, I feel I have to do something about it.

I think I have three options:

a. rewrite the books as they are (I've done a few chapters, and it really makes a difference. I would have to rebrand the books, probably.)

b. write an alternate version of the same story (I've done an experiment and wrote the first chapters anew, but with a female main character. This changes the whole thing greatly but it is viable.) I could then leave the original books as they are and continue the series with the alternate concept.)

c. leave them as they are and concentrate on the next books. (This has its drawbacks - What would've happened to GoT if the first book sucked?)

Has anyone a (another, a better) suggestion?

To give an idea of the differences:

ORIGINAL VERSION

Four times the bronze voice of the tower bell rang out over the courtyard. At the first note, the three young men ducked into the shadows and stared at the rain-drenched square. Minutes passed without anyone appearing.
Ghyll Denhalf threw the other two a triumphant grin; everything was going as planned. The night watchmen, all ancient veterans, found the weather too miserable to man the walls. They would be sitting by the fire in the Guardhouse, their boots at the door and their weapons stored in the rack, while they killed the time with mulled wine, dice and the retelling of their war stories. For Ghyll and his friends, the way was clear.
The three slipped through the open gate into the darkness beyond. The world outside the walls lay wrapped in rain; nothing moved but the falling water. It was four hours past midnight and Castle Tinnurad slept.
Without speaking, they hurried to the stable at the castle farm, where their horses stood. Their trained fingers found saddle straps and buckles by touch and soon they led the animals away. In the boathouse at the breakwater, their barge was waiting and moments later they sailed on their adventure.
“We did it!” Ghyll took a deep breath, gazing in the direction of the invisible mainland. He knew his foster brother’s eyes were on his back. Olle didn’t approve of this clandestine enterprise, but he followed Ghyll’s lead, as he always did. The other guy, Damion, went along because Ghyll had asked him.
In the distance loomed the dark mass of the Dar Traun. To Ghyll it felt as if the mountain waited for them. We’re coming, he thought, curbing his impatience. Ever since his uncle’s forester told him there were boar higher up the slope of the Traun, Ghyll had known he had to kill one for his birthday. He’d be twenty tomorrow and he had a vague notion that coming of age and hunting boar belonged together, as if one would prove his fitness for the other. He grunted. Uncle Jadron would not be pleased they had gone out without permission, but the urge was irresistible.

ALTERNATE VERSION (in this piece, the male part would be the same. Later on, obviously not.)

Four times the bronze voice of the tower bell rang out over the courtyard. At the first note, the three shapes disappeared into the shadows, watching the rain-drenched square. Minutes passed but no one came.
Gylla threw the other two a triumphant grin. So far, so good, she thought. The rain keeps the guards inside. She knew the men; all pensioners of ancient wars. In her mind she saw them huddled round the fire in the guardhouse, their boots at the door, as they passed round the mulled wine and bragged of their many feats.
She gestured toward the gates. They were locked at nightfall, but the wicker gate remained open. Unseen, the three escaped into the darkness beyond.
Without a word, she led them to the castle farm, to fetch the horses. The stable was pitch-dark, but their fingers found saddle straps and buckles by touch and they led the animals away. In the boathouse at the breakwater, the castle barge lay ready and shortly after, they sailed on their adventure.

‘We did it!’ Gylla stood in the prow, facing the wind over the river and the lashing rain. In vain she tried to see the yet invisible mainland.
Behind her, Olle sniffed. She knew her foster brother’s eyes were on her back, his dark face barely hiding his disapproval of the whole clandestine enterprise. She sniffed. Olle was seventeen, a year her junior. He was far too conscious of his common parentage, and sen-sitive of his honor. She smiled. Olle was already a knight, full of Uncle Jadron’s virtues.
Beside him, the other boy hadn’t said anything yet. Damion was a newcomer at Castle Tinnurad–a small, withdrawn guy, who had shown resignation rather than enthusiasm for the plan.
She turned her attention back to the now vaguely visible riverbank and the looming mass of the Dar Traun, the mountain that was their goal.
We’re coming, Gylla thought, impatiently. There, high upon the mountain slope, were the boars her uncle’s forester had reported seeing. She clenched her fists. The hairy idiot! He’d laughed behind his beard when she said she’d like to catch one. “Stick to rabbits, Lady Gylla,” he’d said. “Those are fierce enough for a young miss.” Rabbits! She’d show him. A wild boar would be the perfect present for her birthday guests. She’d be eighteen tomorrow–her coming of age. Finally. The sight of the boar’s head on the table would be proof of her hunting skills. Her conscience gave a little tug. Jadron won’t be pleased.
‘Dammit, I know,’ she muttered. Her uncle was overcautious and never permitted her to leave the castle. Yet this time, the urge was too strong to resist.

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Don't forget that A Song of Ice and Fire wasn't GRRM's first series. (Of course, Harry Potter was Rowling's so… point taken.)

While you've obviously made improvements over time, I'd say go with "c."

My first novel is full of amateur crap, but what brought me to this site was something my brother told me. He had a booth at the NY Comic Con, and someone approached with MY book in hand looking for an autograph. (My 15 seconds of fame happened, and I missed it!) So that guy liked it anyway.

I tried to do a rewrite… I really did. (Yes, after someone said he loved it, that's when I decide to fix it. What was I thinking?) But the passion was gone. In my mind, that story had already been told. I didn't want to retell it. I wanted to get that story out of my way and tell the next part. It killed my passion for the series in the end because I was dwelling on the notion my first novel wasn't good enough. I didn't enjoy rewriting it or changing it, and I didn't think it deserved a sequel.

Maybe you wouldn't go through all that, but then, I didn't expect to either. But here's the lesson I learned:

I'm not going to stop improving. If I'm writing well, each story will be better than the last. Yeah, eventually there's a point where you've got a solid voice and the improvements are subtle, but still… you're always improving.

I think your original is well-written, even though the second version has some improvements. What you've shown is certainly not an embarrassment. You're just getting better, and you see the difference between your first novel vs. how you write now.

I wouldn't take a step backwards. Just tell the next story and keep moving forward.

Graylorne

Archmage
Thank you, Legend. I am worrying, it's this infernal insecurity. So I should just drop the whole thing and concentrate on getting book four finished (that's been waiting at 60k. for far too long).

I know I'm improving. There's a big difference between the Revenaunt books and Lioness, a really big difference. But you're right, it probably wouldn't work. The next books will be more or less standalone, anyhow.

In any case, I did find out that writing the same story from a male and from a female POV is very different. It's not just a matter of changing he into she, many of the interactions change and the character of the MC as well. That at least is experience gained.

Thanks again; I think you've cleared my mind a bit.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Glad I could help. Honestly, it helped me as well. I just took a look at my WIP and thought, yep… take your own advice. Keep pushing forward.

What I'm finding with my current WIP: It's a fresh, new story. Even I don't know what's going to happen. (I plan; plans change.) I'm having that sense of discovery right along with the character, just like I did when I wrote my first novel (the first time).

I thought a rewrite would be no different than polishing-before-publishing, so I thought that would work for me. But it's different. Polishing a story is like the artist putting on the finishing touches, letting the paint dry, then a few more strokes before unveiling the piece to the world. A rewrite is like you go to the art gallery, see your own work, say "that sucks" then go home and make the same exact thing "…only this time, I'll do it right." Meanwhile, you hope no one looks at your corner of the art gallery until the new piece is up.

Graylorne

Archmage
'make the same exact thing' - Yes, I know that feeling. It rarely works, but the feeling persists.

Part of the problem is, I'm writing, publishing, but not really selling. That means the money is going out, but not coming back in. I begin see the bottom of my reserves, and when that's gone, there won't be any more self-publishing. At least not for the next 4 years, till I get my pension. I can go the trade route, but that thought doesn't make me happy, either.
The whole thing makes me doubt my skills, my covers, my prices, everything.
Perhaps 'Lioness' will do it. It's much more modern, gets good critiques of my beta's and I found a great illustrator. Perhaps that will do it. Luckily I don't have to live of my writing, but it's dashed frustrating.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
The only option I wouldn't do is B. It seems counterproductive to have two competing volumes of ye same stories.

Personally, I'd leave them be and move onto the next. Anyone who's completed even a few stories understands the writing continually improves. You don't want to spend your life rewriting publications because your skills progress. Where does that end?

Readers also understand that quality of story, or writing, may differ from book to book. I don't know how many reviews I've read that state "This is the one to read" or "Not as good as the first book, but...".

In light of that, I'd just show your increased ability in the next story.

Graylorne

Archmage
It's not only the writing, there are a few plot decisions I made that I'd rather undo. But it makes such a silly impression; that's what made me hesitate in the first place.

But it is not only my writing that changed, it is my whole vision of the story. It will take some deep thinking to get around that. Perhaps I've been too long with those characters. I'm working on this series since 2009 and this year I'm not making much progress with it. I wrote four other books since finishing Revenaunt 3. But I don't want to leave the story up in the air; that's not fair to those who did buy the books.

That would leave option A. I was thinking to redo the first two books and bring them out in one volume (that's how they were originally written), with another cover.

But perhaps I had better go for the sequel of 'Lioness' now. Bringing a new book would probably be a better investment.

Too many buts - both literally and literary. I'm going to sleep on it.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Don't be a George Lucas.

IMHO once it's out there, it's out there. If you wanted to do another editing pass and polish things up, I'd say go for it. But major plot/character points--Han Shot First, darn it--I'd say leave it be, unless some publisher came to you offering money and a contract to make those changes.

I don't think there's an author out there that doesn't get the itch to fix an earlier work. But there's a certain point where you just have to move on. In the time required to rewrite your book, you could have written a completely new novel, fresh and without the baggage of the first.

In my eyes, it's like trying to untangle one completely knotted up ball of yarn when you have thousands of balls of untangled yarn lying within arms reach.

My first book was a mess. I didn't know how to fix it then, but I know how to fix it know, I think. But I'm not going back, for now at least. I've too many stories I want to write, and that story has been told, even if it was badly told.

My 2cents.

Fyle

Inkling
Don't be a George Lucas.

IMHO once it's out there, it's out there. If you wanted to do another editing pass and polish things up, I'd say go for it. But major plot/character points--Han Shot First, darn it--I'd say leave it be, unless some publisher came to you offering money and a contract to make those changes.

I don't think there's an author out there that doesn't get the itch to fix an earlier work. But there's a certain point where you just have to move on. In the time required to rewrite your book, you could have written a completely new novel, fresh and without the baggage of the first.

In my eyes, it's like trying to untangle one completely knotted up ball of yarn when you have thousands of balls of untangled yarn lying within arms reach.

I haven't been published or finished a novel yet (although I am close 320k words and 56 out of 60 chapters in)...

This sounds like good advice to me. Especially this makes a lot of sense : IMHO once it's out there, it's out there.

Hmm, tricky. On the one hand, it's your words, story and time - your decision what to do with all of them. On the other hand, is retconning really fair to readers who've invested in your story up until now?

Personally, I would advocate moving forward. We can spend a lot of energy rehashing the past and trying to create perfection; it's probably more effective to take the lessons you've learned from this process - including finishing a story when you've shifted from where you started - and make your next project better.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
'make the same exact thing' - Yes, I know that feeling. It rarely works, but the feeling persists.

Part of the problem is, I'm writing, publishing, but not really selling. That means the money is going out, but not coming back in. I begin see the bottom of my reserves, and when that's gone, there won't be any more self-publishing. At least not for the next 4 years, till I get my pension. I can go the trade route, but that thought doesn't make me happy, either.
The whole thing makes me doubt my skills, my covers, my prices, everything.
Perhaps 'Lioness' will do it. It's much more modern, gets good critiques of my beta's and I found a great illustrator. Perhaps that will do it. Luckily I don't have to live of my writing, but it's dashed frustrating.
Don't take "somebody took my book to the NY Comic Con" to mean "I sold lots of books!" I made more money winning writing contests on this site last year than I did selling books.

What I hope to do differently this time around:
1 - Write a standalone. It could have a sequel, but the ending won't force the issue.
2 - Take this guy's advice and self-publish.
3 - Move onto one of the other projects I'm thinking about.
4 - Actually market the book!

Being a teacher, I have more free time in the summer. If I have a complete novel, I can put time and energy into marketing it. If that goes well, I may need to use some of those school vacations to do the same. I'm not in any hurry to get my next book to sell. I just need a complete book, and if I don't have time to market it (because, for example, I need the summer to complete it) this year, there's always next year. Who knows? I could have 2 or 3 books ready to sell before I start pushing them.

Not selling is frustrating, so I'm trying to take the selling part (temporarily) out of the equation and focus only on writing a story that I love. I want to retain the quirkiness of my first work, but raise the bar regarding quality. Or in other words, I want to keep doing what I did right the first time around, and at the same time be a better writer overall.

When I'm ready to get to the selling, I'll need to get over my hatred toward ebooks.

Graylorne

Archmage
When one asks for advice and all answers say more or less the same, it is wise to follow them. I will forget about rewriting.

Starting 'Lioness' I will employ another, and totally different, cover designer. So what I can do, somewhere next year, is make both the two Revenaunt books and the three Shardhelds (unchanged) into one volume each, with covers in the new style, and offer them at a competing price. The covers will be aimed at a different public (the present ones were intended for the regular adult fantasy fan, while my books are a cross between fantasy, adventure, romance, for YA and adults).

Thanks, all, for helping me make up my mind.