• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Epic Fantasy Structure

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
My first book was easy to plot since my characters all stayed together in one group. For my sequel, however, they're going every which way. Has anyone ever found a resource with tips on how to structure the plot when that happens?

Seems like this happens in just about every epic fantasy series, so, surely, someone has blogged tips.

Hi,

I don't use a resource I'm afraid. What I do is keep a companion data file with each book which has two things in it that will help. The first is a simple list of data about characters - name, age, race, job that sort of thing. And the second is a timeline starting at day one, and each chapter from then on gets a new entry in the timeline. Between these two things I can fairly much keep everything straight.

Cheers, Greg.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Hi,

I don't use a resource I'm afraid. What I do is keep a companion data file with each book which has two things in it that will help. The first is a simple list of data about characters - name, age, race, job that sort of thing. And the second is a timeline starting at day one, and each chapter from then on gets a new entry in the timeline. Between these two things I can fairly much keep everything straight.

Cheers, Greg.

Greg,

I do the same to keep things straight - especially the timeline.

I was just thinking that someone somewhere might have published some structure tips on how to structure an epic fantasy for maximum effectiveness.

For example: I tend not to like the Game of Throne's method of switching to a new place and character with every chapter, so I know I want, for my book, to keep switch viewpoints in blocks.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
It's a lot easier for me to find time to read than watch videos. I'll check this out, though, at my earliest opportunity and let you know if it helped.

Thanks for the link!

Brian

FYI, each video is only 10 minutes, so total run time is approx 50 minutes.

But if you want to read, I'm going to be writing an article for Mythic Scribes covering weaving multiple plot threads. It's going to be part of a series on theory and structure. Unfortunately, I've just started, and it'll be a while before I get to weaving plot threads.

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
FYI, each video is only 10 minutes, so total run time is approx 50 minutes.

But if you want to read, I'm going to be writing an article for Mythic Scribes covering weaving multiple plot threads. It's going to be part of a series on theory and structure. Unfortunately, I've just started, and it'll be a while before I get to weaving plot threads.

That works. I'm just starting consideration of the novel and probably won't get into serious outlining for a couple of months. The start and end are also going to be pretty easy because all the characters are going to be pretty much together.

Addison

Auror
I, personally, think that if the characters do scatter (Like the Fellowship) then to keep the story going forward and to keep the story feeling like one story, then make sure that the conflicts and such each set faces are somehow intertwined. Make group A fights and victors over an enemy convoy of weapons and the like. Then group B, in an integral setting facing an army, they win when their look out says that the enemy is making a move to their stores, which are booby trapped. (We need to find a shrug emoticon)

Hope this helps. Happy Writing. :)

I don't really use any specific method. I just choose the major, story changing/transitioning plot points and then the smaller plot points that link them. This way I can keep a closer eye on continuity and know where I need to get to. It also helps to trim the fat when the prose strays too far from the path.

I guess in basic writing terms it's the skeleton of the story. The exciting stuff is what happens in between those connecting dots.

I, personally, think that if the characters do scatter (Like the Fellowship) then to keep the story going forward and to keep the story feeling like one story, then make sure that the conflicts and such each set faces are somehow intertwined. Make group A fights and victors over an enemy convoy of weapons and the like. Then group B, in an integral setting facing an army, they win when their look out says that the enemy is making a move to their stores, which are booby trapped. (We need to find a shrug emoticon)

Hope this helps. Happy Writing. :)

I like this.

I think some loss of energy is pretty much inherent when characters split up. Just by comparison, you've had the first tale (or you're comparing it to one) that had so many more characters, elements, and history together to build synergy and momentum. Separated characters may deal with a huge variety of story pieces between them, but each side doesn't have as much to work with.

Consider: facing a new villain can be exciting, if it's handled well-- but it's no comparison to dealing with someone they've struggled with two or three times before who's managed equally well. Or, Tolkien rarely split his party into more than three viewpoints (actually, two at a time; he didn't mix Frodo/Sam Alone with the rest). One of many reasons George RR Martin gets so much done is that he works hard to make each chapter grab you by the throat on its own before he drops you somewhere else.

So I think dividing the heroes is always going to dilute some of your chance to build dramatic depth and power, in exchange for the variety it gives you, and I'm not really a fan of the trade like some are. But I think that if you do it, it does help to plan out the contrasts between those threads. It's one thing to say they "aren't just each leading armies," it's another to say one hero is doing research that hints they're fighting the wrong enemy, another is leading commando raids at them and paying a high price, and a third is playing soldier-politician and making us wonder what crazy bargain your nobles are going to make with which side. (Again, Martin plans a lot of this, plus making you root for every side, a little.)

Splitting up may not give you as much easy power as having characters together. But their threads can still be complimentary, or interlocking.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever found a resource with tips on how to structure the plot when that happens?

I know it's a pain to handle many characters doing different things - but regardless as to whether your characters are together or separate, the principles of plot and structure are the same.

You might benefit from reading about these directly:
The Writer's Journey
Save the Cat

The first book covers general issues of structure, the second covers character story-arcs which should drive the plot in the first place.

Addison

Auror
I recently had trouble with structure and found a helpful video on youtube. Just boot it up and look up "Dan Wells on Story Structure".