• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Blending Thriller and Epic Fantasy

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Depending on what you're writing, you may or may not need to do substantial world-building. There is no reason to do more of it than required to make your story work (which may be a lot, or very little, depending on the story), unless you simply enjoy world-building for its own sake.

Malik

Auror
Depending on what you're writing, you may or may not need to do substantial world-building. There is no reason to do more of it than required to make your story work (which may be a lot, or very little, depending on the story), unless you simply enjoy world-building for its own sake.

I actually think there is a reason to build past the point of only making your story work. I believe that if the real world aspects of a book aren't correct, then the reader won't suspend disbelief sufficiently to allow the fantasy aspects. It's not just functional worldbuilding; additional worldbuilding past gross function results in smaller and smaller details. This goes back to that iceberg concept again.

That's sort of what I'm going for, though I'd say "murder mystery" type atmosphere combined with fantasy is a better description. With pacing I just worry about whether I accomplished something in each chapter and if it served to speed the story up when needed or slow the story down when needed. The problem I want to avoid is the reader stopping for a moment and wondering to themselves if what they are reading is actually going anywhere, or at least if what they are reading has a definite purpose to it.