• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bandit Protagonists

Anyone know about any novels that have leaders of bandit groups as protagonists? I've been contemplating writing a novel with this sort of character after I finish my WIP, so I'd like to see how any previous novels have handled it.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Telcontar

Staff
Taking "bandits" as meaning pretty much any thief/outlaw types, Lies of Locke Lamora is the first to come to mind. Naturally, any Robin Hood books as well.

C

Chessie

Hey, there. I haven't read anything of the sort, but I do have a series of stories with bandits as the main source of conflict. I did some research (minimal at that) on the history of banditry and then just got creative from there. Think: a mixture of thievery with mercenaries. Ruthless, a fragile system, people that turn on one another, but it can also be anything you want it to be.

I'm sure you could do an Amazon or Goodreads search and come up with some suitable works to study but really, just trust your creative side. Let me know if you need anything. :)

Hey, there. I haven't read anything of the sort, but I do have a series of stories with bandits as the main source of conflict. I did some research (minimal at that) on the history of banditry and then just got creative from there. Think: a mixture of thievery with mercenaries. Ruthless, a fragile system, people that turn on one another, but it can also be anything you want it to be.

I'm sure you could do an Amazon or Goodreads search and come up with some suitable works to study but really, just trust your creative side. Let me know if you need anything. :)
Thanks, your suggestion to do research is more than enough help for me. Banditry probably varied somewhat depending on the time and region so thank you for indirectly reminding me to research the subject in a more in - depth fashion. That being said, I think I'll go search for some documentaries now if there are any [emoji1]

Taking "bandits" as meaning pretty much any thief/outlaw types, Lies of Locke Lamora is the first to come to mind. Naturally, any Robin Hood books as well.
I consider lies of Locke Lamora to be more typical thieves than highwaymen. Robin Hood works fine but I'm looking for a 100% fantasy setting. But I think the personalities of bandits and those characters in the works you recommended are similar enough to warrant a read for what I'm trying to do. Thanks [emoji1]

C

Chessie

Netardapope, when doing research, my suggestion is to look specifically at banditry in Spain, wild west America, and although there is minimal information on it the medieval banditry as well. Good luck~